cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

@scointer  Thanks for the insights! You have said what I would generally expect, that the HD HDR stream gives better colours and depth of 'range' (hence high dynamic range haha). But that for the best clarity and sharpness and motion, the 4K SDR stream through the T4000 wins out. I reckon that the BT Sport 1 HD 1080p SDR 50fps stream through the ATV (and therefore being upscaled by the TV) looks better than the BT Sport 1 HD stream through the T4000 box (be it set to output either 1080i or 4K), would you say that is correct based on your experiences?

I notice you say that when your ATV is set to 1080p 50hz SDR with match content on, that the BT Sport App autoswitched the ATV to HDR mode when the HDR stream was detected on the BT Sport ultimate channel. Are you sure this happened? Just because even you yourself said that auto matching was disabled? Hhaha.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 62 of 86

Whoops yes it definitely does do that but there is a reason mine does 😉 i wanted to make sure the stream was forcing the HDR rather than the ATV faking it. I haven’t compared BT Sport 1 streams I will try and have a look later but yes I wouldn’t be surprised if the ATV looks slightly better although if done properly ie stb output changed to 1080 to let the tv upscale I think it would be fairly similar.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 86

@scointer So are you running a beta version of the BT Sport App on ATV which does have frame rate &/or dynamic range matching enabled? If not then how one earth is the auto matching working for you and no one else? 😮

I agree of course that 4K HDR would be the pinnacle and I think this is what BT are aiming for. What we know for sure is that 4K HDR will never come to the current generation of ATV4K, you'll have to wait for the next iteration. Maybe the Samsung Smart TV app might be able to cope with it, followed then maybe by PS4 Pro & Xbone S/X.

Hopefully the 4K SDR stream will come to the ATV4K and Samsung TV app soon.

If you do try comparing BT Sport 1 HD through ATV app vs T4000, set the T4000 to output 1080i so it is native and then for both ATV (@1080p SDR) and the T4000 the TV will be handling the upscaling (like you said).

Looking forward to the feedback.

@robotman1 I'm looking forward to your feedback as well from the further tests you're going to do.

@iangreasby Have you tried not setting the ATV default settings to HDR/DV yet?

@TALON1973 How are you choosing to view BT Sport content atm most of the time?

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 64 of 86

@Mallett94 Obviously I couldn't possibly comment on running a beta app 😉

You are also aiming quite low when asking for a 4K SDR feed on the Samsung app soon 😉 (and PS4 Pro, Xbox one S/X, Chromecast Ultra)....

The Apple TV sadly can't do above 4KSDR50fps because of its own hardware limitations and as they are normally on a two year refresh and nothing happened this year (despite it being two years old) I would very much expect a new hardware version this time next year and therefore that version would be concentrated on for anything higher now.

Also (I am not doubting you for a minute) can you 100% confirm that BT Sport 1/2/3 etc HD on the STB is 1080i only, I have to admit it is not something I have looked into properly so if you can point me to where this is proved it would be very helpful (and help me to be lazy lol). Cheers.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 65 of 86

@Mallett94  I don’t see the ultimate channel on the app . And I refuse point blank to change my settings for 1 app. 

so youview box it is. And I don’t think another box will come out. The are pushing the app now.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 86

@scointer I hear you loud and clear. For myself, any hints about Chromecast Ultra support are what would interest me most. I have a Gen 3 Chromecast atm so get the full 1080p 50fps stream atm. If the ultra were going to support HD HDR/4KSDR/4KHDR then I would likely get an ultra and use the gen 3 in another room with a 1080p TV. I don't have a Samsung Smart TV and I cannot bring myself  to spend approx. £180 for an ATV4K just for a slightly better BT Sport picture haha. I already have a great TV in the Sony Bravia 55XF90 which upscales 1080p brilliantly.

So I'm sure there are a couple more places which explicitly say the broadcast properties of the channels, but here is 1 link which lists Youview channels and their broadcast format => https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_YouView_(BT,_TalkTalk_and_Plusnet)#Sports

and here is another link => https://www.tvchannellists.com/Master_list_of_HD_channels_(UK_and_Ireland)#Sports where the opening paragraph states "This is a Master List of current high-definition channels that are available in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. All HD channels in the UK broadcast at 1080i, except on Freeview and Sky Q where HD channels can dynamically switch between 1080i50 and 1080p25."

I hope this satisfies!

Also imo the PS4 app isn't worth bothering with because the output is locked to 60hz (except for 24p blurays) and so the picture is choppy AF. I know the Xbone has a 50hz output option on it, but I don't know if the BT Sport App on Xbone takes notice of it (I don't have an Xbone).

I really think the ATV4K should bring in a match resolution setting, that would be fantastic for users of that device (providing the BT Sport App was programmed to respect the match content settings of the ATV haha).

Cheers.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 67 of 86

Quick reply as I'm meant to be doing something else at the moment 

All this talk of comparing pictures and resolutions etc etc reminded me of one thing. I have my entire setup professionally calibrated, some use calibration discs to get them a bit nearer to a calibrated picture, but there are others who just use the tv picture to make adjustments to their system. 

The only way to get a definitive answer as to what looks and performs best is to test for yourself as everyone's experience will differ dependant on how well things are set up in your own unique environment.

0 Ratings
iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 86

@Mallett94 .  I've just been testing between Sky Q 1080i (2TB box) and ATV at 1080 SDR, as you suggested.  The pictures look broadly similar, although I would edge towards the ATV as Sky Q looked a touch softer, possibly due to the compression that Sky use.  I then reset my ATV back to 4K HDR DV, the difference showed up immediately with everything looking sharper and with more colours.  I should add that the improvement was not in an artificial way, i.e not like it appears when you switch your TV to "vivid" mode, the picture looked very natural and not overly bright.  I will definitely be leaving my ATV on 4K HDR DV, even though I realise that I am not getting HDR from the BT Sport App.

@TALON1973 .  There are 2 BT Apps available on ATV, the BT Sport App and the BT TV App.  I have downloaded both Apps but cannot log in to the BT TV App (I assume because I am not a "full" BT Sport customer as I view BT Sport via Sky).  I would guess (but can't be sure) that the BT Ultimate channel is available on the BT TV App.  It does not show up on the BT Sport App for me.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 69 of 86

@iangreasby 

The BTTV app is for customers of BT TV, ie. BT Youview customers. 

BT Sport Ultimate is not available on the BT TV app.

As far as I can tell (I may be wrong) Ultimate is only available to BT TV Max customers.

I therefore assume you aren't getting Ultimate as you are subbing via Sky and not BT, the same reason you don't get access to the BTTV app.

https://www.bt.com/tv/ultra-hd/

iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 86

@robotman1 .  I already knew I wasn't entitled to BT Ultimate, I was just replying to @TALON1973 from his query.  However, you think that BT Ultimate may not be available on either of the Apps?  The plot thickens.....🤔.  I must check with my Dad who has BT TV (youview box) to see if Ultimate appears on his list of channels, not that he would be interested as he doesn't even watch in HD, let alone 4K/HDR! 😀

0 Ratings