cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

@iangreasby To each their own I guess! I personally wouldn't choose to watch converted SDR to HDR, but if you think it looks good that's all that matters. I'd just want to make sure I was definitely getting the 50fps stream because hardware limitations of the ATV4K mean it can't output a 4K HDR 50fps signal properly. You may want to try hard setting the ATV4K to 1080p 50hz HDR DV and seeing if the image is smoother (50 fps vs 25fps) than when set at 4K.

@robotman1 Yes to do a completely fair comparison the picture settings for the two hdmi ports, which the two devices that are being compared are connected to, would need to be the same in order to rule out 'better' settings on one input compared to the other.

I'm quite interested to see how everyone feels the upscaling of the ATV4K is compared to their TVs upscaling capabilities. Where someone has a mid-high end TV I would expect the TV to do a better job of the upscaling.

@scointer Let us know when you have had a chance to further do some comparisons.

@TALON1973 If you are receiving the 4K channel through the T4000 box (or anyone on some sort of Max BT TV package), then when a stream is available in HDR through a compatible app then it will show as a clickable tile on the home/watch sports page. If you click this then when the stream loads in it will say BT Sport Ultimate channel. You can't explicitly choose the Ultimate channel from the Watch TV guide page.

Have a good evening all.

0 Ratings
iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 86

@Mallett94 .  Interesting stuff.  Okay, so we all agree that the BT Sport App on ATV is flawed in some way as it forces ATV to output a fake HDR DV signal and "tricks" the TV to flag up in DV mode.  I have tested the same with other Apps, e.g Netflix, and the TV only shows up DV mode when the content is DV, even though my ATV is set to 4K HDR DV, which is how things should work.  If the content is HD, I only see DV on my TV from the BT Sports App and nothing else.  But you are saying that ATV does not do 4K HDR DV correctly in any event, even when outputting true DV content, e.g via Netflix or a i-tunes movie, because of the frames per second issue?  I had my TV professionally calibrated about 6 months ago and, as well as the TV, the guy did some adjusting on the ATV as I was having some issues with it.  It turned out that my AVR was not up to the job of passing video and audio in sync, so he connected ATV direct to TV rather than via AVR which corrected the lip sync.  Anyway, that's another story.  But, the point is, I was asking him about ATV settings and he was adamant that 4K HDR DV is the correct setting.  

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 86

@iangreasby

Hello 🙂

What I'm saying is that there is a (now) well known hardware issue with the ATV that means it cannot output 4K HDR (DV/HDR10) at 50fps. It can output a 50hz signal where it is showing the same frame twice from a 25fps source, but cannot output a true 50fps 4K HDR signal.

When the ATV4K was first released it did uoconvert everything to 4K DV as you have now. But it was eventually updated with the match content settings to correctly match frame rate and dynamic range to the source content from the apps.

@robotman1

Will testify that now, actually the most accurate defualt setting on the ATV4K is to hardset 1080p/4K 50hz SDR, and then leave match content for both frame rate and dynamic range enabled so all correctly functioning apps switch the settings as needed. Also as I said previously the actual ATV menus and most of the screensavers are actually SDR not HDR.

What I was trying to suggest in my previous post, is that if you decide you like to watch the BT sport hd channels with the ATV converting them to HDR/DV, than in order to ensure you're definitely getting the 50fps stream and it is nice and smooth to try setting your ATV to 1080p HDR/DV instead of 4K. But like I've said, if I had the ATV4K I would set it to 1080p SDR 50hz for BT sport hd channels so that my TV upscales instead of the ATV.

I hope I've made sense.

Cheers

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 74 of 86

4K sdr with frame and dynamic matching on is the recognised best way in the ATV settings because it will then output at the highest setting that the app is outputting at without faking anything BUT at the minute the released BT Sport app has had the auto matching turned off because it was auto picking the 25fps stream if people used the above setting and there is no 4K stream available at the minute (it is a fault in the way the ATV works) so you need to turn the settings to 1080p 50 HDR to get the full output from the BT Sport app (this will be fixed when the 4K stream is released because the auto matching can pick the correct stream then).

HDR and Dolby Vision are both the same thing just different formats of the same thing (this is not totally true as DV is dynamic and HDR is static but hopefully for my point the basics come across). You have Dolby Vision or HDR not both.

robotman1
Contributor
Message 75 of 86

@iangreasby  My apologies over my earlier post. I meant no harm 👍

@Mallett94  As @scointer says, the ideal 'default' setting for ATV4K is '4K SDR'. We have obviously had crossed wires somewhere. The only change needs to be when choosing a BT Sport HD HDR broadcast. @scointer has explained the correct set up perfectly in his post above.

He also is spot on in stating you either have DV or HDR, not both

To confirm, Ultimate is on the BT Sport app, but only when a HDR event is available.

As for scaling, my tv wins hands down, it would need to be at the price I paid for it 😂

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 76 of 86

Unless you have a really cheap tv and a very expensive upscaling device (some avr amps can be very good) the tv upscaler will always win hands down as they are designed to work with the panel specs to give the best output.

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 77 of 86

@Mallett94 
so just done a quick and not the best comparison and in my opinion the AppleTV 1080p sdr picture is a fair bit better than the T4000 1080i sdr picture, the Apple picture is sharper and more defined whereas the T4000 is quite soft. Although a lot of people have said the T4000 HD picture is a lot softer than the T2100 but that is something I can’t compare.

robotman1
Contributor
Message 78 of 86

I would concur with your analysis @scointer 

On your other point, I think the issue many had with the T4000 picture was down to watching HD with the box set for 4K output.

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 79 of 86

@robotman1 

Yes a lot was down to people outputting in 4K BUT even after conversation and people moving the T4000 to the matching output they were still saying the T2100 was a better picture. Again I couldn’t confirm as I don’t have a T2100. Even so I still think the AppleTV is a big enough improvement that it would still beat the T2100 picture even if it is a bit better than the T4000.
What we need is the 4K HDR 50 fps Dolby Atmos output from the new STB that is being talked about lol 

robotman1
Contributor
Message 80 of 86

A bit of info hitting the public domain today regards the new box. Sounds good 😉

0 Ratings