@robotman1 what box ?
0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 82 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

@TALON1973 

This one that has been mentioned a while back by a mod on the HDR thread

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/isp-bt-preps-uk-pay-tv-relaunch-with-new-wifi-set-top-...

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 83 of 86

@robotman1 @scointer Good evening!

Yes I completely agree that on most occasions the best default setting for the ATV4K is 4K SDR 50hz w/Match Content ON.

What I was trying to say was that if your TV is better than the ATV at upscaling sub 4K content e.g. 1080p/BT Sport 1 HD, then technically to get the best picture you would want to set the ATV to 1080p SDR 50hz. As robotman1 said earlier, his TV beats the ATV at upscaling hands down. Naturally if the ATV is better at upscaling then leave it at 4K haha.

Basically, if the BT Sport Ultimate channel isn't broadcasting something, the best way to watch via the ATV4K, if your TV is better at upscaling, is to manually set the box to 1080p SDR 50hz.

The only other thing was that I was worried for @iangreasby that by hard setting his ATV to 4K 50hz DV, he might not be getting the 50fps stream when watching a BT Sport HD channel, due to the hardware limitations we have discussed previously, hence asking him to set his ATV to 1080p 50hz DV (because he likes the DV conversion), to see if he thought it was smoother i.e. 50fps vs 25fps.

For all of you ATV4K owners out there, it sounds like an upcoming app update may bring a much improved user experience.

To summarise all of what we have arrived at so far, as it currently stands:

The best quality is still the 4K SDR 50fps stream the T4000 (or virgin v6) stb.

BT Sport HD in its 1080p SDR 50fps form, via the BT Sport App on ATV4K, Samsung Smart TVs and Gen 3/Ultra Chromecast is better than watching a BT Sport HD channel via a stb. The jury is out on the games console apps due to potential forced 60hz mismatch with the 50fps frame rate. 

1080p HDR 50hz via the app on compatible devices does look good, but some (if not many people) may not have properly calibrated picture settings for SDR & HDR content. Therefore this can cause people to think that the HDR picture is 'dimmer' and therefore worse (but that is another topic as to why sometimes this is correct - see the BBC R&D article I linked on a previous post).

There will hopefully be coming soon, via the BT Sport App (not the BT TV app), 4K HDR 50fps streams to compatible devices, and those devices not compatible with 4K HDR 50fps will be getting 4K SDR 50fps.

We also concluded that the ATV4K doesn't auto switch to match resolution, and that everyone thinks it would be great if it did.

Did I miss anything???

Going to try find some tidbits about the potential new stb for next year!

Goodnight all.

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 84 of 86

Out of interest, does anyone on here have Sky Q Sports? If so how does BT Sport 4K compare to Sky Q UHD Sports?

0 Ratings
Message 85 of 86

Not completely related to your post but as a  sky multi room user I just can't reccomend Bt ultimate Bt4k box and ultimate app (apple 4k).

I regularly have people over to watch sky and often view games in different rooms.

There is a slight/ minimal delay between the main sky q box and the mini box.(Albeit in hd)

Attempting to view via the Bt4k box and Aplle 4k ultimate app in different rooms is a waste of time.

There is a delay of more than half a minute.

I'm sorry I switched.

The lack of information is ridiculous. 

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 86 of 86

I used to find BT UHD quality was better - but Sky UHD now seems on a par with it.

@Mallett94wrote:

Out of interest, does anyone on here have Sky Q Sports? If so how does BT Sport 4K compare to Sky Q UHD Sports?

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings