Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IainCraig
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

HDR

Hi,

I have got BT Sport and trying to watch HDR football, I have opened the app on my Iphone X and gone into BT Sport app, the game says HDR and i am selecting for streaming and HDR, i then use the iphone hdmi connected to connect to my LG C8 tv and whilst it shows it doesnt change to HDR picture, am I doing something wrong.  Spoke to BT who say I should  have it as have 4K package Total Entertainment.

Help please

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: HDR

Hi @IainCraig 

As I understand I the  BT Tv Package  you have is one eligible for the selected coverage  of BT Sport in HDR on suitable devices. As you are given the option to view the HDR stream on your iPhone that suggests that you have access to it and you would be able to watch on the device. (iPhone). 

However you are attempting to use HDMI output from your iPhone to a large screen TV  (LG) which I suspect is why you are not seeing the HDR quality stream on you TV.

So you would have the HDR stream on the phone. Do you have Chromecast Ultra or Apple Tv 4K to cast to your TV ?

0 Ratings
IainCraig
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I am selecting HDR on the app.  Dont have chrome cast or apple tv.  I thought it would work via hdmi.  Got xbox one s but that doesnt have HDR on app either.  My tv should select HDR pic setting when it gets source HDR material to it and it isnt doing that.  

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

As long as your TV and HDMI cable support HDMI 2a and your cable isn't excessively long then you shouldn't have a problem.

I copied this from the internet, I had originally placed a link to the article in this reply but I've had my wrist slapped by the mods on a couple of occassions now for breaching usage policy, so I removed the link and added the below instead:-

"HDMI cables are just a dumb pipe. They don't care (to an extent) what you send through them. There is no such thing as an "HDR HDMI" cable or an "HDMI 2.0" cable. That second one is important. HDMI cables don't have version numbers. The connections have version numbers. So your TV might be "HDMI 2.0a" (and indeed needs to be for HDR), but the cable you plug into it doesn't have a number. It's just an HDMI cable."

0 Ratings
IainCraig
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Tv is an LG C8 so only a year old.  I dont know what i am doing wrong tbh.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Is this any help?  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208074

Check your HDMI cable

4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

If there's an issue with your HDMI cable, you might see a message on your Apple TV that says that your HDMI cable might be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. To check your HDMI cable connection, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection to run a 2 minute test.

If you still experience issues with your HDMI cable connection, check all of your connections and make sure that your HDMI cable has the label “Compatible Dolby Vision.”

0 Ratings
IainCraig
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Dont have apple tv.  Im sure my cables are fine as i can play 4K HDR bluray through my xbox one s and it finds everything as fine using that cable, if they would update the apps for xbox one s to play hdr on the app it would be ok, just thought casting using the hdmi to tv adapter and using the Pp would work.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Are your inputs all enable for HDR? My LG is older and I had to do that for each input. No idea for the newer model. Never played out from my phone either, I use the app via apple TV but the above is the only thing that twigs with me.

Regards HDMI cables, the correct naming is "High Speed" or "Premium High Speed" for 4k. Manufacturers get a bit fancy with naming and do not use the recognised convention. It confused the issue somewhat. However if the cable is working with your xbox at 4k and HDR I would expect it to work elsewhere.

0 Ratings
puddles83
Message 9 of 9

Using the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter, you are limited to a non HDR 1080p output regardless of a higher source resolution on the phone.

Using AirPlay to mirror content to an AppleTV, you are also limited to 1080p output - if I remember rightly the last time AirPlayed HDR content, I did get the HDR flag pop up on my LG tv - though the resolution was 1080p.