cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonOS18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Help with getting new channels please!

Although already having BT Vision with ESPN and BT Infinity installed and Homehub version 3 I have signed up to BT Sport. BT confirmed they have set this up but although everything else seems to run ok that I can't now get ESPN or the new sports channels even though I can select them from the guide. I have used powerline adaptor to link Vision Box to Homehub since first having BT Vision a few years ago and have had no problem with anything including iPlayer.

The error code I get when trying to get ESPN/ BT Sports is VMC011. When I rang BT about this I was told that powerline adaptors are a known issue and they won't work - I complained as I wasn't aware this was the case when I signed up to Sports channels as it will cost to reposition my Homehub near enough to the BT Vision box to use an ethernet cable direct between the two. The only solutions was they could send a longer ethernet cable or to have a BT Engineer call to reposition the Homehub in the same room as BT Vision box.

After reading a few similar threads on here I have checked by using a long ethernet cable attached directly between vision box and Homehub. I then had the same result except the error code is VMC016. I checked the speeds i am getting at the Vision box connection -

powerline adaptors 11.7MB download/ 7.3 Upload, 

ethernet cable 38MB down/ 8.26 up.

Another thread mentioned running a resyncronise with servers but when I did I got a VMC03 error.

Not being at all techie I am puzzled and don't want to junk the powerline adaptors and pay out to move the homehub without being convinced this is going to work first. Can anyone suggest anything to help and save me from the lengthy and painful call centre process?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Clover
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Help with getting new channels please!

I would say give it a couple of days and see if the channels come through by themselves. I was in exactly the same position and panicking when I couldn't immediately get ESPN, Sky Sports or the new BT SPorts. I could see the channels but no content. The ESPN and SS errors were that I wasn't subscribed and the BT Sports error was that I had lost connection. The telephone help desk basically said wait a few days. Sure enough, the next day, the ESPN and SS content came through, then about 2 days later the BT Sports content came through.

0 Ratings
SimonOS18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your reply Clover but it is some weeks ago since I subscribed to the new channels and it was a week ago when I spoke to BT helpdesk so think if it is this it would be sorted by now.

0 Ratings
dale
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

I have the same system as yourself and still use the powerline adaptors and I receive  ESPN , SKY SPORTS 1 AND 2 without any problems .Try ringing BT AGAIN ON THIS NUMBER 0800 111 4567 . Because I think that so one at BT have not set up your account properly hope this helps .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Clover
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Well, if you have a temporary ethernet connection direct to your home hub, BT will have to help you now! Your error VMC016 doesn't seem to come up in these forums, so no idea what that is, sorry. Is there no text to go with it?

0 Ratings
SimonOS18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Yes that's a good point re the ethernet connection ... the error text message was similar to the VMC011, something like no broadband connection.

I know the powerline adaptors are a bit of red herring if it doesn't work with ethernet but I've realised that they are only 85mbps which would explain the poor speeds I'm getting I guess. Assuming I can get this sorted with ethernet cable then I presume the extra grunt that will result from using 500mbps adaptor may well mean I can use these.

Sounds like another call to BT is on the cards when I can summon the energy and get all the kids off Xbox for long enough!

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 7 of 12

@SimonOS18 wrote:

Yes that's a good point re the ethernet connection ... the error text message was similar to the VMC011, something like no broadband connection.

I know the powerline adaptors are a bit of red herring if it doesn't work with ethernet but I've realised that they are only 85mbps which would explain the poor speeds I'm getting I guess. Assuming I can get this sorted with ethernet cable then I presume the extra grunt that will result from using 500mbps adaptor may well mean I can use these.

Sounds like another call to BT is on the cards when I can summon the energy and get all the kids off Xbox for long enough!

Definitely get in touch with BT again.

It sounds like they have not set-up something correctly. Setting up BT Sport is actually quite a complex thing - BT have not delivered this sort of service on the UK 21CN platform before, so I am not at all surprised that there are teething issues.

Have a look in the CA screen under "settings and help" on the Vision box to make sure that that you are connected to the conditional access subsystem. Also make sure in the "settings and help" screen that you are running the multicast software as well. If you can't find this information out then when you ring BT ask them to tell you how to find this out.

Powerline adaptors is a red hearing in some cases - but you will need to be very careful using the 85Mbps Powerline if you want to put video / audio over them. You will see stutter and video performance issues - it may not even run over the 85Mbps. I use 200 Mbps with no issues as these comply with the "Powerline AV" standard - Comtrend (which BT supply ) also work OK but not if you have Powerline in the same building.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SimonOS18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I spoke to BT helpdesk today whilst my BT Vision box was connected by a long ethernet cable directly to Homehub. Whilst they were checking things out the BT Sport channels and ESPN came to life so I left it at that. At least I know now that it will work but this still leaves me with the problem of Homehub being in another room and not practical to have direct cable running to it. As soon as I reattached via powerline adaptors I lost the signal again although I can stiil use iPlayer.

I'm wondering whether to shell out for 200 or 500mbps Powerline adaptors or if I need to get my Homehub relocated in the same room. The easiest and cheapest would be the adaptors for about £40 but the question is whether they will give me the extra oomph I need if I am only getting 11mb down/ 7up using the 85mbps adaptors now. Anyone any views on this?

0 Ratings
Wilky
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

bt sports doesn't start until August the 1st does it?
0 Ratings
SimonOS18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

No it doesn't but if you're set up then you can view the ads that are running

0 Ratings