cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

In the middle of a contract

I've thrown this scenario in the middle of another thread but hope it's ok to give it a thread of its own where maybe more people will see it and possibly respond!

I'm currently on an attractive deal for my broadband / calls which ends in November.

For me to take up the "free" Sports would mean having to pay upwards of an extra £50 quarterly, and as a recontract would mean I'd lose any bargaining chip I currently have to renegotiate a new deal come November.

As it now happens I may possibly be better off taking my phone / broadband to Sky as it would mean me paying roughly the same (or less) than I am now.

Fair play for marketing FREE Sport BUT there will be others like me to whom it just won't make sense in the long term. It would actually work out cheaper for me to renegotiate my phone / broadband deal come November and just pay up front for the Sport (should I still be interested in taking up BT Sport). 

The fact that my very good deal ends in November, and the extra cost involved when the full price is added in November for me, means I feel I can't take up the Sports. The cost to me in losing any possible further discount has me now seriously thinking of leaving BT, something I must admit I don't really wish to do.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: In the middle of a contract

So presumably you have some sort of retention deal?

What you do is really specific to your own situation - the forums deal generally with the standard products that are common to everyone. Your situation is specific to you.

There are other 'money saving' forums where this sort of thing is discussed. Presumably if you do have some sort of retention deal you'd have to reapproach BT to discuss this 'new situation'.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

I get the feeling that BT may be trying to reduce the amount of haggling over prices when people's contracts come to an end.

They are offering "free" upgrades to Infinity and "free" BT sport, both with the hidden cost that they aren't going to offer such a good price when it comes to renew.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

My apologies Colin for posting the question / remarks. I didn't realise I was in the wrong place. My stupid mistake to post a BT related billing / product enquiry in a BT forum. 

If I may I'd like to respond to Ectophile's comments and then I'll be on my merry way so as not to waste anyone elses time reading my wrongly placed post.

I've had the "free" Infinity upgrade offers, but as many people have mentioned before elsewhere on these boards, anyone like myself who are on a retention deal automatically lose that deal on upgrade.

Definitely think it'll be Sky BB / Calls come November after so many years being a more than happy BT customer.

Thanks for your input Ecto.

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

There's no doubt that you are going to lose SS1 & SS2 at some point and if your letter is like mine then it is sometime after 3 June 2013. My letter does not say when the switch off will be concluded. Everyone on the forum thinks 1 August 2013 but BT have not actually said.

My understanding is after I spoke to an advisor after receiving a second letter that:

1. BT will provide infinity to maintain your SS1 & SS2 arrangement at no cost to you as they are responsible.

2. You will get BTS1 & BTS2 for free if you sign up on a new contract.

I would think that as you are already in contract to receive SS1 & SS2 BT would provide infinity without changing your existing contract but if you require the free BTS1 & BTS2 then they will have you recontract for another 12 months.

If you opt to stay as you are (No BTS) then you will have to renegotiate in November otherwise renegotiate now.

The fly in the ointment here is that BT have contracted with you to provide ESPN, albeit for free until November and as soon as they fail to provide you with ESPN then your contract is at large and you can do what you want. I believe but not sure, that BT have not announced what is happening with channel 34 (ESPN) because of this situation and that they may well run this channel until all existing contracts come to an end. Can they contractually move the football from ESPN to BTS? I am not sure because did they not purchase the rights to some football directly from ESPN? All very confusing, we will have to wait an see on this one.

As the football season doesn't start until 18 August 2013 you have until then to wait and see what happens.

Either way if you have SS on the monthly rolling arrangement then you could cancel immediately the season ends to save a couple of months money but would not get infinity at that point.

I was advised that if I took the upgrade to infinity option I could still start/stop the SS subscription as required.

I am in exactly the same situation as you and at the moment do not intend jumping into a new contract when things are not 100% clear amid the hysteria surrounding BTSports.

I intend to wait to see what develops between now and 1 August 2013.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

@tellboy wrote:

The fly in the ointment here is that BT have contracted with you to provide ESPN, albeit for free until November and as soon as they fail to provide you with ESPN then your contract is at large and you can do what you want. I believe but not sure, that BT have not announced what is happening with channel 34 (ESPN) because of this situation and that they may well run this channel until all existing contracts come to an end. Can they contractually move the football from ESPN to BTS? I am not sure because did they not purchase the rights to some football directly from ESPN? All very confusing, we will have to wait an see on this one.

As the football season doesn't start until 18 August 2013 you have until then to wait and see what happens.

This is not correct. Firstly, you will find that there is no contractual obligation for BT to continue to provide ESPN via DTT. Secondly, BT has clearly announced that ESPN will no longer be available via DTT from 1 August and will only be accessible via the on-line App for those in non-Infinity areas or who can access via the Sky platform.

Finally, BT is not moving any football from ESPN to BT. ESPN lost its Premiership football rights wef the end of this season and BT won rights wef next season. This happened before ESPN UK was bought out by BT. ESPN will continue to show FA Cup football under its existing contract with the FA, alongside ITV.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

@robert1997 wrote:

My apologies Colin for posting the question / remarks. I didn't realise I was in the wrong place. My stupid mistake to post a BT related billing / product enquiry in a BT forum. 

If I may I'd like to respond to Ectophile's comments and then I'll be on my merry way so as not to waste anyone elses time reading my wrongly placed post.

I've had the "free" Infinity upgrade offers, but as many people have mentioned before elsewhere on these boards, anyone like myself who are on a retention deal automatically lose that deal on upgrade.

Definitely think it'll be Sky BB / Calls come November after so many years being a more than happy BT customer.

Thanks for your input Ecto.

What Colin said was right and the correct thing to do. There was no reason for the response you gave. Your deal is unique to you and we can only guess what BT will do in your case. Your best bet is to ring them and discuss it.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Which was why I apologised to Colin for posting in entirely the wrong place. I realised I'd made a silly mistake by posting the question / observation in the wrong section of the forums. I felt when I first wrote it that because the matter arose from BTs announcement of the free Sports that I'd throw the scenario in here as I felt others may be in the same position, as I see from a reply above that is indeed the case. Again, I can only apologise to anyone I've offended by my quite innocent mistake.

Anyway, as an aside, come November it will be a move to Sky, BT don't seem keen to budge on deals anymore, using Sport as a leverage, whilst Sky can do my same BB / Calls package at £28 per quarter cheaper than my current BT deal price.

Regards guys, hope this clears up any confusion over my apology to Colin, goodbye and good luck. Rob. (Hugs everyone)

0 Ratings
GarethW
Expert
Message 9 of 14

I got a call from BT yesterday, and they said that they are just recontracting customers at the same rate they are currently paying; so my current discount will be continued.
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

@MJH62 wrote:

This is not correct. Firstly, you will find that there is no contractual obligation for BT to continue to provide ESPN via DTT.

How do you know that? Link please?

Secondly, BT has clearly announced that ESPN will no longer be available via DTT from 1 August and will only be accessible via the on-line App for those in non-Infinity areas or who can access via the Sky platform.

Link please?

I have the letter from BT addressed personally to me and it does not say that. They have a contract with me and they have not addressed the contractual situation with me. Announcements on their website are not a valid method of varying the contract they have with me. The letter does not mention the 1 August 2013 it says "SOON". That is not good enough to change a contract. I am sure they will write to me again "SOON" to advise me of the actual date. The letter is clearly a frightener to get you to change to Infinity. Clearly ESPN via. DTT is going but "WHEN" is the question for existing subscribers. For new subscribers or those that sign up for Infinity the date may be different.

Finally, BT is not moving any football from ESPN to BT. ESPN lost its Premiership football rights wef the end of this season and BT won rights wef next season. This happened before ESPN UK was bought out by BT. ESPN will continue to show FA Cup football under its existing contract with the FA, alongside ITV.

What about all the other football? I did not refer to the premier league I said some football. 

Please provide a list by league detailing what is on BTSports and what is on ESPN and provide BT Links that confirm it.

0 Ratings