cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerrywales
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Infinity 2, YouView Box with wifi/powerline connection doesn't work!!

So I upgraded to Infinity 2. When the BT Sport announcement came out I also signed up for the Entry BT TV package with a YouView Box is anticipation.

So it allowed me to move my original pvr to another room. Plugged in my TV's wifi access point to the YouView. Hooked in and I was pleased. I have no more TV channels than I did before but youview gave me all the on demand channels ontop of what I am used to. All I had to do was wait.

1st August. YouView auto updates. During the day ALL the on demand channels stopped working and no BT Sport on the TV.

3 calls to BT support

Call 1 22 mins no answer and was cut off

Call 2 57 mins. One answer after 37 mins. Was told that they were not technical and would transfer me. At 57 mins was cut off.

Call 3 1 hr 46 mins. Spoke to someone. At the end of the call was told that BT Sport (with YouView) will not work over WiFi (I have n-guage and HH3 is repoorting 85Mb throughput) or the Powerline product but HAS to be linked by a physical cable. 

Response NOT IMPRESSED. Well moving the TV and hub a little in the hall I managed to get the 10m cable to just about reach the youview to test. Warning everyone in the house to be careful of the cable dangling through the air.

Yes the YouView worked with the physical cable. No it didn't with Powerline or WiFi.

Tried the PC connection (using WiFi) to get BT Sport. That worked.

Tried my Android phone to get BT Sport via WiFi. That Worked.

So the only WiFi issue is the BT supplied YouView Box on the BT Powerline or my WiFi to the BT Broadband.

At the moment the only effective solution is to load up BT Sport on my laptop and feed the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable (if the system allows me to).

BT said that BT Sport needs 15Mb bandwidth. My n-guage wireless access point does that. So what's the problem?

Anyone got BT Sport any other way other than a physical ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
kerrywales
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity 2, YouView Box with wifi/powerline connection doesn't work!!

The following day BT Sport did work with Powerline (for about 1hr) when one of the BT supplied powerline units failed. Now into 2nd day trying to arrange a replacement under warranty. BT seems to be void of humans though and have difficulty in communicating.

Still my fault. I should have bought the service off a communications company.

Into my 40th minute waiting for call to be answered (1st call cut after 20 mins) be interested to see if I get a human and they can help!

0 Ratings
paththerapy
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I have aSamsung Smart tv with infinity and will not allow Microsoft to install silverlight to watch BT Sport ,so I thought upgrade with a you view box,then read on how to install that it won't work with a power line plugin- great! This was my original problem when I bought the smart tv ethernet connections, I use Ethernet plugins next to my tv etc setup, but this is no good for BT Sport
The UK needs to get it's act together with this technology ,the Government needs to knock a few heads together for Joe Public.Feeling a bit cheated again.
0 Ratings
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi Kerrywales. BT will not even enter into discussion with you about using pla's to get BT Sport.

They have insisted from the start that the router and vision box MUST be connected by ethernet cable.

Pla's do work sometimes. mine do, but i am quite near the exchange and get good speeds.

Telboy.

0 Ratings
biminibob
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Finally got mine working, through the power line adapters.

Despite having activated it on the web site, it took a 990 minute call to the help line to actually activate it.  Started working yesterday.

0 Ratings
confused_scoob
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

How??
0 Ratings