cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noelect
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

MotoGP GP of the Americas 12/4/15

Recorded the 3 races, why they can't be split into 3 programmes BT has refused to answer.

Anyway tonight I settled down to watch my recording of the MotoGP race. I located the beginning and was enjoying the racing when suddenly the video stopped, with 12 laps remaining.

The 'Guide' said the program started at 6.00pm and was sceduled to finish at 10.15 (255 mins). The recording information said it started at 4.30pm and finished at 8.59 (239 mins).

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but I missed the last 12 laps. I can't see that I did anything wrong. I set the BT Youview box to record the programm correctly and it didn't. Did anyone else experience the same problem?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: MotoGP GP of the Americas 12/4/15

Not watched the races yet, but having watched practise / quali over the weekend have been pretty aware of the bad weather and other causes of delays to the planned programme. Which is why I always record the following programme or two to capture any overrrun. TBH I am surprised you were not already recording the Chequered Flag programme which would have been enough to capture the rest of the race?  If things go to plan the races should be availabe online tomorrow sometime.

Accurate Recording is still in its infancy and not yet used by many broadcasters, a fact so many viewers seem to forget.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Gomezz.

Many thanks for the reply.

I suppose all I can say is that's it's all very well with hindsight. I can't think of this happening before, so I assumed, quite reasonably, that the programme carried a tag which started the recording when the programme started, I think our Skybox does this, I also recall having VHS recorders which managed to do this.

Your suggestion to record the following programmes of all 'live' broadcasts, just in case it rains, surprises me, in addition I have asked BT repeatedly why the programme can't be split into three, but they have never provided a reason why this can't be done.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

It has been my SOP for years going back to first getting a VCR to pad recordings of live sport by an hour or two. No padding on a Youview box as it relies on Accurate Recording ignoring the fact that not all broadcasters use it (including BT) and that it is subject to human and technical failure so the workaround is to record the following programm(es),

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Yes there was a 1/2 hour delay to the start of the motogp race at the last minute when some water fell off the roof of a bridge onto the track...In theory the AR should then change the finish time but sounds like it didn't work (like a lot of times)....

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for all the replies.

Anyone any ideas why BT Vision can't split the 3 races into separate programmes?  it would make it so much easier if you only want to see the last one.

Thanks

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

If they did then they would have even more problems with each programme segment containing all of the race or other session it is supposed as was shown last weekend there were multiple delays including a mysterious non-presence of marshals and a dog on track as well as the leaky bridge.

Curiously my Chequered Flag recording not only included the end of the MotoGP race but was extended by an extra 44 minutes to end at the end of that programme. I suspect that was *not* Accurate Recording in action but a late change to the EPG info once the live coverage had ended so it seems the Youview box is clever enough to detect and act on that change for an already active recording.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I keep getting emails from BT, as below, urging me to accept one of the responses as a solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Topic: MotoGP GP of the Americas 12/4/15
Date: Mon Apr 13 01:17:49 CEST 2015

Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the reply and mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no option to reply to this email saying I don't consider any of the responses actually provide a resolution to the problem, however helpful and well intentioned they are, all they do is to offer workarounds.

By now BT should have engineered a proper solution.
0 Ratings