cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LincolnHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New Viewing Card

I received my new viewing card yesterday and have just followed the instructions, removing my old one and replacing it with the new. The first thing I noticed is that I didn't receive a message on my screen reading 'Your viewing card has been correctly inserted.' Nothing appeared to change at all.

BT Sport is not at Channels 58 and 59 either. They're at 507 and 508 (ESPN is at 509). ESPN and Sky Sports (which are running on Broadband TV) are working fine and have been for the last week or so. On channels 508 and 509, however, I still have the 'BT Sport is coming soon' promotion video package. Is this normal?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
mickfootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Viewing Card

I havent had a new viewing card and everything is running fine for me at current. All encrypted channels ok including the broadband ESPN, Skysports 1 and 2!
Some of the problems with people getting confused is that a lot of the BT customer service agents havent got a clue on any of their own protocols! I must have spoken to 5 different agents over all about the change and upgarded channels and only 1 gave me knowledgable advice.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

LincolnHawk,

If you are receiving the broadband sports channels on 41, 42 and 507+ then you're on the multicast system and don't need a viewing card. The multicast version of the BT Vision+ software you are running doesn't use the slot. You can remove the viewing card and you will still be able to view the same channels.

For example I can view Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, ESPN, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and don't have a viewing card in the box. I took it out two months ago when I moved to the multicast software. The BT Sports channels are just showing promotional videos up until 6pm on Aug 1st.

The viewing card is just for those who can't get the broadband multicast channels and are still running the standard version of the software. Those customers will need a card to view encrypted over-the-air channels 58 and 59. 

Did BT charge you £10 for the new card or was it a free replacement?

0 Ratings
LincolnHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

@umpire wrote:

LincolnHawk,

If you are receiving the broadband sports channels on 41, 42 and 507+ then you're on the multicast system and don't need a viewing card. The multicast version of the BT Vision+ software you are running doesn't use the slot. You can remove the viewing card and you will still be able to view the same channels.

For example I can view Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, ESPN, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and don't have a viewing card in the box. I took it out two months ago when I moved to the multicast software. The BT Sports channels are just showing promotional videos up until 6pm on Aug 1st.

The viewing card is just for those who can't get the broadband multicast channels and are still running the standard version of the software. Those customers will need a card to view encrypted over-the-air channels 58 and 59. 

Did BT charge you £10 for the new card or was it a free replacement?

Thanks so much for your help. BT didn't charge us for the new card. It was a free replacement. I look forward to Thursday evening then!

0 Ratings
Suedan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I have put the viewing card in and in the settings "card reader" it says pairing status "never paired". The guide does not show the BT sport or ESPN channels. I wonder if we live in an area where we can't get Bt sport. I read on one thread that it needs the COM6. Does this mean that there are some areas of the country that can't get BT sport, though the helpline did not say this when we ordered the viewing card.
0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 6 of 10

Hi Suedan

There is a thread here http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/BT-Sport-BT-Vision-Viewing-Card-for-Sport/td-p/940570 that might help you with a few checks regards to your question below, message 3 from Umpire has a few links on that will help you find out which transmitter you are on and may shed some light as to if you are affected by signal issue.

After you have performed the checks please can you reply back on the thread so i can see if i need to do a bit of digging for you if you can still not pair your card and you are in a good freeview signal area.

Thanks

Jacqui

BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Suedan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thank you.

Our transmitter is Shatton Edge. We get quite  few freeview channels but not all by any means.

On the www.ukfree.tv/transmitters webpage the signal strength and frequency are showing 25/30% levels.

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 8 of 10

Hi Suedan

Looking at your transmitter info here http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK194814&PGSTART=0

it would seem Shatton Edge doesnt reach a lot of Freeview channels, which could mean that you are in a non BT Sport area.

The details of your transmitter say that they dont currently broadcast the below channels, but I am not too sure how up to date this information is.

Please can you drop me your details via private message so i can investigate further?

Thanks

Jacqui

The Shatton Edge (Derbyshire, England) mast is a public service broadcasting (PSB) transmitter, it does not provide these commercial (COM) channels: 4Music, 4seven, 5 Later, 5*, 5USA, Al Jazeera English, BBC Red Button 2, Challenge, Channel 5 +1, CITV, Community Channel, Dave, Dave ja vu, Drama, E4+1, Film 4 +1, Food Network, ITV 2 +1, ITV 3, ITV 4, Movie Mix, PICK TV, Quest, Really, RT English , Sky News, The Zone, Travel Channel, True Entertainment, VIVA, Yesterday

BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

That's an interesting name for a transmitter providing a less than full DTT service.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Suedan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Just confirmed that I cannot receive BT Sport because of the transmitter I am on. You need to check the web links above.
Seems like if you can't get ITV3 at the moment then you are unlikely to get BTSport. That might be a bit simplistic but it's a start.
BT are going to refund my £10 for my viewing card.
I can still get BT Sport on my IPad as I also have broadband with BT.

I have suggested that they should put a note on the website about checking transmitter,/coverage before purchasing viewing card.

0 Ratings