cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bullett023
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

No BT Sport HD 1+2 ON SKY+HD BOX - ALL OTHER CHANNELS WORKING FINE(SD+HD)

I signed up to BT Sport HD 12 month service on Saturday 1st August via the BT Sport Website and received all channels (SD+HD) within 15 mins of paying.

All channels worked great for the remainder of Saturday on my SKY+HD box that was installed on the same day (Sat 1st). All new equipment and set up by the engineer.

I woke up the following day Sunday 2nd with the hope of watching the Charity Shield in beautful HD, however when turning on the sky box and heading to channel 417 (BT Sport 2 HD) I was greeted with the message "Your SKY+HD box isn't getting a satelillte signal Your recordings in the planner and the on demand service may still be available. (25)".

I then decided checked other channels, Sky 1, Sky 1 HD, SSN, SSN HD, SS1, SS2, SS3, SS5 plus their HD counterparts and all channels were (and still are) working perfectly fine. In fact the BT Sport Standard Definition channels are also working fine.

The ONLY channels that I can see are affected are the HD counterparts to the various BT channels.

After various calls on Sunday to both Sky and BT, I have since had signals resent to the box, a software update to the Sky+HD box to the latest firmware (by holding down the back button on complete restart) and still the problems persist, I've had Sky tell me I need to contact BT and BT tell me I need to contact Sky.

However...

Today an ariel enginner arrived to the property, this gentlemen explained to me that yesterday he visited a single residential properly when the same problem had occured and he decided to replaced the LAM/LAB or something like that. After replacing this part the picture quality was static and breaking and the engineer was unsure of what fix was needed.

Upon visiting my property (with a communial dish) he asked me to check BT Sport HD 2, which didn't work and then BT Sport 2, which did. He called his manager to explain and the manager has said that I would either need the SKY HD+ box that was installed a few days ago to be replaced OR for the communial ariel to be looked at.

I must state that I do not believe that his suggestions will fix this problem and I feel that this is an issue with a transmitter of some kind that is affecting SKY customers, it simply makes no sense that every single SKY + BT Sport channel works with the exception of the BT Sport HD channels.

Ideally I would like to be contacted by someone at BT to discuss this further as every single call centre representitive has been poilte and helpful but frankly unable to diagnoise and resolve the current issue with the service that I must add I am paying for.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: No BT Sport HD 1+2 ON SKY+HD BOX - ALL OTHER CHANNELS WORKING FINE(SD+HD)

Firstly let me say that I do not have SKy myself so my contribution to this thread is only based upon what I've read.

If you look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_2G

you will see an explanation  of how the various satellite channels are distributed on different transponders.

So the HD BT Sport channels are on a different transponder to the SD BT Sport Channels.

It would be interesting to see if you are missing signals from any of the other transponders that are close to the  one that (BT Sport HD) uses.

It may simply be a case that your communal dish installed some time ago is not aligned to pick up all the transponders.Over time additional transponders have been utilised , satellite have been replaced and orbits adjusted. Also it is possible that the LNB may need replacement or upgrading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_block_downconverter

0 Ratings
bullett023
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi, thanks for your post. 

So I've just had another aerial engenieer around to check the dish. 

I've had the drop-wire (from roof to box in living room replaced as this had kinks in the cable and the LNB replaced (the old one is currently on my living room table) and in additon, the dishhas been  realigned. 

This has improved the signal strength/quality on ALL channels and after the replacement of LNB I'm able to receive BT Sport HD 1+2. However with signal switching between OK and NOT LOCKED on Input type 1. 

The engineer has stated that this could be due to interference from the metal safety railings on the roof which are in close promitity to the LNB and as the BT Sport HD channels are on a different frequency these are more suseptiable to interference. 

He is putting in a request for the dish to be raised onto either a 6/8ft pole from the current 3ft pole that it is mounted to which he believes will cut out the current interference. 

This shall hopefully be carried out next week at some point and I shall post the resuts here for all to see as this may help other customers. 

Thanks
0 Ratings
Siralli
Message 4 of 14

Contracted for BT SPORT HD on SKY Platform.

All original standard BT Sport chanel (links) work fine (such as BT Sport 1) but with NONE HD transmission (or very poor) if it is supposed to be HD.

When the adverts come on the same channels there is an outstanding difference - HD

Am I supposed to use BT Sport HD channels as part of this contract - or what?

When I try to use these I get notice message -Upgrade your subscription to receive this HD CHannel.

Can anyone advise please?

I have tried ringing the help line - getting automated answers etc and getting nowhere fast.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

It sounds as if BT haven't correctly applied the extra BT Sport HD entitlement to your account. They have just set you up for the standard BT Sport (SD). That's why you are getting the subscribe message when you try an HD channel.

You need to phone BT support and get them to sort it out (assuming you ordered HD).
0 Ratings
Slippy
Message 6 of 14

Hey, interesting to read your post as I have the same issue. I 'upgraded' yesterday at approximately mid-day. I received a text shortly after saying that my HD channels would be active within the next 15 minutes. About an hour later I checked and found that only 'BTSpt//ESPNHD had been activated. I knew that Sky had initiated the initiated the upgrade because the channel designated numbers had changed, BTsport1HD was now on #413 (previously occupied by BTsport1SD. The SD BT sport channels were all working correctly as before as were all the HD and SD Sky channels. 

I contacted BT on a number of occasions and was told to wait 24 hours. I explained that it wasn't likely to be an issue of activation and explained why but they insisted I wait. Unsurprisingly, 24 hours later nothing had changed. I called BT and was forwarded to technical support. Technical support staff were notable for two things, they knew nothing about technical issues and were completely unsupportive. I was advised to call Sky which was a line incurring a charge on my BT line (what isn't). 

Sky, as usual were very helpful and at least were aware of the problem. It was suggested that BT had chosen to use an unstable transponder with unique (to this transponder) settings. I tried a number of manual scanning with the assistance of their staff. I have an good understanding of satellite having been an enthusiast in the past. I did a scan on the add channels with the frequencies given by Sky; 12515 H 22000 fec 5/6 with the same result; No Channels Found, No Satellite Signal is Received. The Sky technical adviser proposed that he arrange a visit from an engineer at my cost.

I'm not prepared to call an engineer for two reasons. My dish is perfectly aligned as is the LNB. The LNB is a new Ultra-low noise type which gives between 90 and 100% signal strength and between 70 and 95% signal quality on all other channels covering all transponders. I called BT Technical back to report the findings of my conversation with Sky and received the same uninformed response, that it was nothing to do with them and they couldn't confirm the correct frequency because they didn't know it.

Futher to the current impasse i have done the following. I have re-checked the alignment of the dish and the skew of the LNB using a Promax Sathunter meter. I have also tried a number of different LNB's. My conclusion is that there is NO SIGNAL at that frequency. I have know doubt that an engineer would arrive at the same conclusion as I have. The only option that I haven't tried is the installment of a new, larger dish. If that's the solution I think BT needs to make some serious changes if they don't want to lose business. Any suggestions or updates would be most welcome, alternatively I will withdraw my subscription.   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Have you tried transponder 98 on Astra 2G as detailed below? Not sure if that info is bang up to date as BT Sport Promo HD has now become BT Sport Europe HD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_2G
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

Slippy wrote:

Sky, as usual were very helpful and at least were aware of the problem. It was suggested that BT had chosen to use an unstable transponder with unique (to this transponder) settings.

I did a scan on the add channels with the frequencies given by Sky; 12515 H 22000 fec 5/6 with the same result; No Channels Found, No Satellite Signal is Received.

I read that there were satellite channel moves up to early July due to the older Astra satellites being replaced. Looking on other web sites it looks to me like the situation around early July was as below. 

I don't have satellite myself, but couldn't someone who is receiving the BT Sport HD channels successfully confirm the current transponder(s) settings via their box?

Astra 2F: 12.515 H DVB-S QPSK 22000 5/6 UK beam
BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport Europe, BT Sport ESPN, BT Sport Extra, BT Sport Mosaic

Astra 2E: 11.385 H DVB-S2 QPSK 27500 2/3 European beam
BT Sport ESPN HD

Astra 2G: 11.597 V DVB-S2 QPSK 23000 8/9 European beam
BT Sport 1 HD, BT Sport 2 HD, BT Sport Europe HD

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

The old Eurobird satellite that was flakey, is no longer in service, all nice super reliable SES Astra satellites now.

Do you have a DECT telephone or base unite anywhere near your satellite cable, The Intemdiate frequency in the satellite cable is prone to being interfeard with by dect phones, even through good quality double screened satellite cable. And the new BT sport HD frequency lookes just closes enough to the 11630mhz  ( 1880mhz in the cable)  to be in range of dect frequencies.

The SD channels have moved from 12515H to 11082H so they are well clear of the DECT interfearence on the satellite high band.

I'd also check whats in front of your dish, I'd use somthing like http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm to work out your elevation angle in your area, and check any trees sit below the line of sight with the satellite, else the tree building or whatever ( also remember tree's grow) if it's even close to being a problem get the dish re-sighted .

0 Ratings
tids55
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

I started my own thread on this subject earlier this week.

I spent most of Thursday morning on the phone to BT Customer Services

First person (Vivek) was totally clueless and his English was poor. He blamed SKY for everything and when I told him I hated the info bars on BT Sport Euro he had no idea what I was talking about...

Second person (Nimisha) was a bit better, she did some stuff with my settings, but said if they didn't work after 4 hours, then again it was a SKY issue. She offered me a free BT engineer call out (sub contractor) for Friday and I took it. Again, I told her I hated the info bars and she said she would pass this on to the Content Team and they would remove the info bars for me personally?!

As it was, SKY were in my street yesterday and I went and spoke to their engineer. He said he was aware of the issue and it was because BT had moved satellites. His exact words were "BT and SKY are playing chess behind the scenes with the public and engineers in the middle"

None of the BT staff I spoke to said anything about satellites being moved.

The BT sub contractor engineer came and he said it a frequency issue. He said he had tilted my dish back slightly and updated the frequencies for my dish. Since the, all my BT Sport channels have been fine.

0 Ratings