Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 21 of 55

Re: No Enhanced Player for Man U v Barcelona on Mac

Go to solution

Hi Ploppy - I can assure you we have explored other options. We certainly did not take the decision lightly as we know the Enhanced player is loved by customers, and us! But unfortunately we know from experience that warnings and info are usually not read by customers, and when you have the massive volumes we get that leaves tens of thousands of people not understanding why they can't access the game, while they are missing crucial minutes and events.

So I share your frustration but the most important thing is that everyone can access the live stream on the Standard player at the very least. We are working with AdBlockers and then testing to get this situation with the Enhanced player resolved asap.

Thanks for your patience.

ploppy
Contributor
Message 22 of 55

Go to solution

Unfortunately, for me, the standard player is almost unwatchable on my laptop (it's a MacBook Pro).  It's starts all fuzzy but when it reaches full resolution it starts stuttering and never recovers.  It's almost as if the rate adaptive function in the player is broken.  I started a topic on this very subject some time ago and many others seemed to have the same problem.  I have never found a solution that makes the standard player work.

On the other hand, I have discovered a workaround that makes the enhanced player work - and I documented this in the same thread.  Similarly, it starts all fuzzy and on reaching full resolution starts to stutter.  But then, if I click the teal menu in upper right corner, and bring up things like teams and stats with the player in a minimised window, and then go back to the full size the player after a short while, it plays perfectly.  This isn't an option with the standard player. 

So, basically, for me, your actions in hiding the enhanced player mean that I can't watch BT Sport on my laptop at all.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution

Hi Ploppy,

Thanks for the feedback you're seeing in the Standard player. It's strange because we see around 100,000 Apple Mac's using the standard player each month and we don't see this problem. So it may be something quite specific. Could you specify the exact Mac model please, as well as the Operating system and the browser you're using? Then we can see if it's something we can fix.

Also just as a potential fix - please try de-selecting 'Ask websites not to track me' and 'Prevent cross-site tracking' and see if that makes a difference.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution
Additionally have you tried selecting 'Up to SD' within the standard player and see if that fixes the stuttering issue? The quality is still excellent.
0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

@KitHwrote:
Additionally have you tried selecting 'Up to SD' within the standard player and see if that fixes the stuttering issue? The quality is still excellent.

I've always had the "tracking" preferences set correctly.  I'm using Safari 12.1 on a Mac running High Sierra (10.13.6), but I have the same problem in Chrome and Firefox.  It's a 2008 model and High Sierra is officially unsupported on this model.  However, before you say, "sorry, you're using an unsupported model", don't forget I can use the Enhanced Player perfectly (when it's available) using my workaround.  I can also use the NowTV app to watch Sky Sports and that's perfect as well - so the laptop is definitely capable of playing your content.

In the past I've tried just about everything I can think of to get the standard player to work, to the point where I lose the will to live.  So imagine my delight when I accidentally found the workaround that allows the enhanced player to work.

Anyway, whatever.  I'd be interested to know where this "up to SD" setting is.  I only see the stop button bottom left, the volume and full-screen buttons bottom right and no player settings under right-click.  I'm trying to watch the IPL at the moment in the standard player, just as a form of torture, and I see about 1 frame every 2 seconds.  'Twas ever thus though - I'm sure you could find my thread on the stuttering and buffering topic for lots mroe info, if you're interested.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution
That "Up to SD" setting is in the app which is where I got mis-footed earlier in the thread as it is not in the browser version.
0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

Okay thanks for the info. Yes the code behind the Standard player and Enhanced player is very different, so it's possible that one would work on an older device and one wouldn't. I'll see what I can do with the info you've provided. However, it's unlikely to be fixed for tomorow's games unfortunately.

I'm sure you know this but if you have a Samsung smart TV, Apple TV, or Xbox you can now stream the BT Sport app through those platforms as a substitute. As well of course on mobile devices, tablets, and through a Chromecast. However, if your TV is being used by someone else then I can appreciate that won't help!

Apologies re. SD/HD is available in the app only, not web.

0 Ratings
dw243983
Beginner
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

I too cannot watch the game on the standard player. I have 150MB connection and can watch Skygo, Netflix, Amazon and stream any videos online with no problem. The BT standard player is unwatchable (awful quality, buffers every 5 seconds). The enhanced player is only watchable if I follow a workaround (bring up the team line-ups and then close). Why are the BT players such poor quality?

When is the enhanced player going to be available again as I cannot watch any BT football in the meantime? I only subscribe to BT to watch the champions league and I'm to wander why given BT don't seem to invest anything in the online players.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution
Sorry you're struggling to watch the game. We pride ourselves on the quality of our viewing experience, with hundreds of thousands enjoying live content on the app. Could you please let me know what device you have, browser, and operating system? In the meantime access Enhanced player tonight here:
https://sport.bt.com/ss/Satellite/btsportplayer/live-match-01363980987389?site=btsport&leId=13643460...
0 Ratings
dw243983
Beginner
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution

MacBook Pro (15 inch, late 2008), OS 10.11.6. Have same issues on both chrome and safari.

0 Ratings