cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
missold
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

No 'free' BTSport on my TV with YouView Box because BT broadband speed is too low

Somewhere along the line I remember seeing TV ads and huge posters declaring that BTSports would be free to all BT broadband users. You have probably seen them.  This is one reason I signed up with BT when I moved into my new address a few weeks ago. I do not have and do not want Sky (that's another story). So I had the BT phone and the BT broadband, now all I was waiting for was  the free BTSports. Well, yes, they are free, on my computer and smart devices.

But, what about on my TV?  Last week I telephoned BT to ask how I could get free BTSports channels on my TV. We already knew I could not obtain BT Infinity, which is a shame, and so the available BT broadband speed was fairly low. I explained that to the sales person. He checked and he knew that was the case.  However, in spite of that, he informed me that I would be able to receive BTSports channels if I purchased a YouView box and paid an extra £5 per week. This is not exactly what is meant by "free" but I went ahead anyway and ordered the service. The YouView box duly arrived yesterday, and I set it up, but still there were no BTSports channels.

This morning I telephoned the famous 0800 111 4567 number and spoke to a friendly Scottish lady who didn't have much of a clue so I asked to speak to a technical person. She switched me through to a polite Indian gentleman with whom I spent the best part of 30 minutes quietly chatting and waiting on hold while he spoke to 'colleagues'. Then came the final decsion - I would not be able to receive BTSports because my BT broadband speed is too slow. He then switched me back to the original voice messaged service that I had strarted with, going full circle. After holding for a further 4-5 minutes I just gave up.

Why did the BT sales team mislead me? Have I really been missold the YouView box and service? Is it really worth BT's reputation to missell a service for a measly fiver a week? Am I right about any of this or, before I ask for my money back, is there an amicable solution? [SORRY THIS IS A BIT LONG]

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: No 'free' BTSport on my TV with YouView Box because BT broadband speed is too low

Hi Missold,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I'll take a look into this for you. Drop em an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Walshe76
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: No 'free' BTSport on my TV with YouView Box because BT broadband speed is too low

I recently ordered BT TV as i was also told that i could get BT Sports via BT TV. I explained to the sales team that i lived in a postcode which had limited Freeview channels (e.g. i dont get ITV 3 or ITV 4) but was told that i could get BT Sports via the BT TV through broadband. I am still waiting on the BT TV (as the engineer never turned up for the home install) which is something else i am trying to sort out but not i am wondering if i will still be able to get BT Sports via the TV over broadband. If not then i would not have ordered BT TV.

So what is the minimum connection speed needed to get BT Sport through BT TV over broadband?

0 Ratings
fairyfae
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Wow! I could have written this myself, word for word! I am furious at being duped in to this contract and not being able to use the channels I was promised. My line was tested and I was told yes everything is fine there is no problem - LIARS!!!!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 7

What exactly is you line speed?

Stew
0 Ratings
missold
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

NO ACCEPTED SOLUTION. I WAS MISSOLD AND LIED TO BY BT SALES
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi missold,

Thanks for posting back!

I'm really sorry you've been told that you can't get BT Sport due to your broadband speed.  I'd like to take a look at this for you from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings