Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xer0w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Picture breakup and pixilation on Sky HD

Hi,

I am having an intermittent problem with all three BT Sport HD channels via Sky (BTSport1,2 and ESPN HD)

Quite frequently I get major picture break-up & pixilation, sometimes it drops completely with a message saying ‘no satellite signal is being received……..’

This ONLY happens on the BT HD channels, if I switch to any other channel (even when I’ve got a satellite signal error message), everything is fine.

I have called the BT help line a number of times to report this, and followed their checks every-time, this usually (but not always) involves me checking other channels on the same transponder (376), then me confirming everything  is ok, then they try a reset, but I still have the same issue.

I‘ve also had a Sky engineer out the check over the system; dish alignment, LNB, cables etc. and everything is fine.

So I’m now in a situation where BT say it’s Sky’s issue, and Sky say it’s a BT issue, meanwhile I’m paying through the nose for a service I can’t use.

My next step will be to cancel the service, but I suspect an argument and possible legal action will ensue as I signed up to a 12month contract, so I’d rather the problem was fixed tbh.

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Picture breakup and pixilation on Sky HD

What are the weather conditions like when the picture breaks up? Is it cloudy? Is there a clear sky when the picture is fine? If so this points to a weak signal. BT Sports HD channels come via the Eutelsat "Hot Bird" satellite, rather than Astra, so this may be the reason. See here:

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-eurobird1.php

If your dish is correctly aligned to the satellite, with no issues with wiring or LNB, then you may need a slightly larger dish (80cm if you have a 60cm dish at present). 

PS I'm glad I ditched satellite TV years ago, more trouble than they're worth. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
xer0w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

This happens in clear blue skies, I appreciate adverse weather affects Satellite signals, but in this case it's in good conditions.
I was trying to explain to BT support on the phone about the different Satellite that they use, as they kept insisting it was a Sky sat and thus Sky's problem. I gave up 😕

I do have quite an old (mini) dish, so I fear you might be right, even though I've been sold a service that should world on my existing kit, it clearly doesn't.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

You may find this interesting:

http://rural.co.uk/index.php?topic=5441.0

Highlighted
xer0w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, that seems pretty conclusive. Looks like I need to upgrade my LNB & Dish then.
Can you recommend a good LNB/Dish combination, there's quite a lot of choice out there.
(Wish I could ditch Satellite, but I can't live without SkyF1 HD.)

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Things have moved on since I left, so I couldn't recommend a particular LNB. I would recommend going for an 80cm dish if you can, not always practical I know from experience, but that way any issues during heavy rain will be minimised.

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

I think your barking up the wrong tree. for most of the UK a 60cm or zone 2 dish will give almost no rain drop out, except in the extreme north.

The LNB thing is a myth from a poor sky installer. The LNB is ether Faulty, performance degrading with age, or it's fine. 

My Advice would be to remove all DECT cordless phone  equpment away from your sky equipment and cabling , or all the sky cabling from the dect equpiment.

Since BT sport HD moved to 11603MHZ , that puts the Satellie signal comming down the cable ( IF frequency) @ 1830-1870 which is close enough of the dect frequency range for this to be an issue.  A Dect signal will leak into the satellite cable if too close or the satellite cable sheilding is damaged.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

I only ever see 60 cm dishes in England. We all have bigger ones on Scotland. Sounds like your system simply needs renewed.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
xer0w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I do have DECT phones, but not that close to the cabling. The engineer that looked at my system said the cabling was all good, so I assume that means it's not damaged.

I will however try turning off the power to my DECT base and phones to see if that makes a difference.
0 Ratings