cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Picture quality on Xbox oneS vs chromecast 2nd gen

just downloaded the app on my xbox one s, as this will be 4k compatible in the future then i presume this has a higher bit rate than my 2nd gen chromecast a bit like the chromecast ultra hd does as confirmed bt by recently,  through the xbox the picture looks hd like chromecast but the picture looks like the frame rate is allot worse than the chromecast with the people and balls looking like frames are missing which suggests to me the new xbox app is running at less than the 25fps that the chromecast outputs, either that or the xbox is trying to put out 60hz rather than 50, the xbox has an option to play 50hz which is on, the setting for 50hz is where I pick 4k resolution but maybe the app is not entering the 50hz mode a bit like the old chromecast or windows problem, I had the same issue on the windows 10 app but put this down to the pc being 5 years old and maybe struggling with live hd content due to the celeron processor, I will carry on using chromecast for the moment but was hoping I would get 1080p 50fps as advertised through the Xbox app and maybe it is something worth looking into before there’s any advances into 4k on the original  Xbox one or s, also will Dolby atmos or Dolby digital be added to the Xbox app

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Picture quality on Xbox oneS vs chromecast 2nd gen

just tried the xbox app again, still getting the issue, I tried changing the 50hz mode off then back on again, tried turning 24hz off and also tried switching to 1080p rather than 4k to see if this made a difference but it did not. I tried turning motion on with my lg tv and this confirmed to me im not even getting 25fps second, I know this as the ball will flash during movement on football or cricket, this is not a problem ive had since the hd upgrade to the app on the chromecast so it seems the xbox app is not getting a decent frame rate , can anyone at bt confirm whether the xbox app is getting the better quality feeds or is this something that is due to be switched on shortly or whether only certain sporting events are at a higherframe rate and this is causing the issue.
0 Ratings
olgitnorm
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

1. I setup the app yesterday on my xbox one x and initially the picture quality was poor (looked like SD) but after about 30 seconds it sorted itself out and looked as good as it does via chromecast .Will try again later when the football is on (although not expecting much quality in Brighton v Burnley but the ball will be travelling long distances quite often I expect) and report back on my thoughts. 
0 Ratings
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

that would be good, on my s im getting a hd picture after 20-30 seconds as you are, its just the ball travelling the motion that looks off and thats why i think its a frame rate issue
0 Ratings
olgitnorm
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Watched the first half on xbox and second on chromecast with no discernable difference (apart from the weather), certainly didn't see any flashing on ball movement. Just a thought are your TV settings for the xbox set for gaming ie have you got a game mode setting on TV as I found it much better with this turned off. 

0 Ratings
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thank you, been through all the settings tv setting, either the ball flashes if motion is on or the movement does not look  right in people. Tried plugging a pc into my tv and that was fine, must be something in my Xbox settings. Will keep playing, if not I will just use the pc or chromecast , the picture on pc was better than chromecast and it should be as the chromecast is limited to 25 frames per second unless you have the ultra whereas the other apps should run at 50.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Chromecast Gen 3 - normal Chromecast, not the ultra, supports 1080p 50fps Smiley Happy
0 Ratings
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

have they updated the stream for it, as while the 3rd gen supports 50fps the bt app was only streaming 25 when the 3rd gen came out, i think i will wait and only upgrade the chromecast if the 4k picture on the xbox does not look right when they upgrade.
0 Ratings
benshaw627
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Just tried hockey, cricket and football, made sure nothing else is using bandwidth on my connection and still getting this issue, the xbox says it is gettings 50mbps download speed, tried all settings on the tv and xbox so im not sure whats going on, in also getting the app square on the screen during adverts which i do not get on the chromecast, I know when the chromecast had issues they turned off the advert system and the square showed in the corner which meant the picture on the sport was downgraded and I have a feeling this is whats happening to me. I guess I will have to wait to see if anyone at BT can shed light on whether the xbox app is rubbing at full bandwidth yet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

Hi @benshaw627

I have sent you a private message about this.  Can you run through what I've asked and reply to me?

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings