Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pippolives
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Playstation 4 (PS4) app stream quality

Hi,

I thought I read that the streams would be 1080p and 50fps, this doesn't look to be the case on my PS4 - framerate looks worse than using my Gen 2 Chromecast.   Is there some setting I need to enable to achieve 50fps?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Playstation 4 (PS4) app stream quality

The problem is no option to change resolutions like the Apple 4k box can. The bt sports app is abit pants atm tbh.

And frame matching isn’t even an option via Apple. So ant 4k via an app. If the bbc can do it why can’t bt ?
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

The app definitely does max out at 1080p 50fps on live channels for me and several other people I know in real life.

Are you connected to your router via WiFi or wired? If WiFi how far away is it?

What are you broadband speeds like in general?
0 Ratings
pippolives
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

It is interesting to hear you have 50fps on the PS4, I definitely don't.  It is a WiFi connection but same room as router, measure approx 50mb WiFi download speed to my phone  so no problem there.  As mentioned even my gen 2 Chromecast has a smoother frame rate, and I don't think this supports 50fps.

Do you know what settings you have for PS4 video output? Mine seems to be forcing 60hz to TV, I've tried playing with settings but doesn't seem to help.

Looks like someone has same issue with Xbox https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/Picture-quality-on-Xbox-oneS-vs-chromeca...

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Is it the original 'fat' PS4? This model of the PS4 is notorious for having poor WiFi. Have you tried connecting with an ethernet cable to your router and trying the stream then?

You are correct about the Gen2 Chromecast, it does 1080p but only 25fps. I think it would be cool if they could let you change to 720p 50fps but that isn't available.

I think the PS4 is locked to 60hz output except for when playing 24p Blu ray discs. You should be able to tell what refresh rate it is putting out by viewing the input info on your TV, it usually shows as a banner at the top or bottom of the picture.
0 Ratings
pippolives
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for  your responses !

It's a ps4 Pro.  I will be very surprised if it's the WiFi but I'll connect with Ethernet to rule it out. 

Yep TV shows ps4 60hz but I think the Chromecast looked smoother when I forced it to 50hz in the Chromecast settings, don't understand why...

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

The Chromecast will look smoother because even though the gen2 can only max out at 1080p 25fps, the refresh rate as you say has been hard set to 50hz using the Google Home app. This simply means that each frame is shown twice and it's a perfect match.

On the PS4, be it 25fps or 50fps, the PS4 is outputting at 60hz and so is having to show some frames twice in order to fit the FPS to to the refresh rate. So even though the PS4 app gets the 50fps stream, it still might look a bit juddery because it's not a perfect match of frame rate to refresh rate.

If you want to get 1080p 50fps at the exact 50hz refresh rate, you need either a Gen 3 Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra, or an Apple TV 4K set to 50hz. Or even a laptop hdmi'd to the TV set to output 50hz.

Hope this helps.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

@pippolivesHow did it go this evening? Did you try it out with the Champions League?

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

@pippolivesSSo I tried flicking between the BT sport app on my PS4 pro this evening and my Gen 3 Chromecast. Even though I can tell the PS4 app is reaching 50fps, because the frame rate is mismatched so badly with the 60hz refresh rate of the PS4, it really does make it look choppy.

I'd probably go as far as saying that I think watching at 1080p 25fps with a Gen 1 or 2 Chromecast (set to 50hz) would be much more pleasing to the eye!

This is why I don't watch DVDs or iPlayer through the PS4 because as far as I can tell, as said in a previous post, the PS4 seems to be locked to 60hz output except for 24p Blu-ray's.

0 Ratings
pippolives
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Hi, I haven't been home yet so haven't had chance to check the ethernet but sounds like you have found the same as me when you have compared - so app is indeed showing 50fps stream but we aren't able to see it properly due to 60hz PS4 - thanks for checking

I wonder if BT are able to force 50hz PS4 output on the app or if it's a PS4 limitation ?

0 Ratings