cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andymils
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Poor Picture Quality On ESPN

I keep getting pixelated and frozen screens on ESPN (and occasionally BT Sport2) that i view through my Sky+ box. It's not the dish alignment as all other Sky channels work properly. When i try to record baseball games through the night i often wake to find they haven't recorded due to no signal - or the are only Part Rec. This happens around 50% of the time i try to watch these channels! Mega frustrating!!! Please help.....

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Poor Picture Quality On ESPN

Have you tried recording any of the other channels that use the same frequency/transponder on the Astra 2F satellite? e.g. Motors TV.

If you get the same problem then it's probably a dish/cable/box issue.

Tp 73 12.515 GHz H 22000 5/6 (encrypted in Videoguard):

• Bonanza Bonanza (unencrypted)
  • BT Sport 1
  • BT Sport 2
  • BT Sport Extra
  • BT Sport Mosaic
  • ESPN UK
  • Motors TV
  • MUTV
  • Racing UK
  • Samaa TV (unencrypted)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

BT Sport (SD versions) may have actually moved to Astra 2G now? Changes this last week?

See http://www.a516digital.com/2015/07/satellite-update-few-more-changes-to.html

0 Ratings
andymils
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi Umpire, I tried watching/recording Motors TV and I did have the same issue... to a lesser degree. The worst channel is ESPN (BTSport/ESPN) which sometimes pixelates or freezes but sometimes doesn't! And I never know when it'll be okay and when I will have problems.... Which is mega frustrating! You say it could be a dish issue but all other Sky and free to air channels are fine through the dish and Sky+ box. Please help!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

I think the channels are transmitted in groups on particular frequencies. People have mentioned before that they've had problems with the BT Sport, Motors TV, etc frequency. I believe the normal solution is to get a Sky or independent satellite dish engineer to make sure the dish is perfectly aligned. Possibly over time it has become slightly misaligned due to wind, pigeons, etc? It also might affect those on the edge of the reception zone more. Do you live in Shetland? 🙂

I don't have satellite myself but I thought there was a signal quality check option somewhere in the Sky menus? Would that highlight the problem?

If you search the forum for Sky Motors TV you will find other threads describing the same problem with dodgy BT Sport reception.

Note: Not sure if the very recent satellite channel reshuffles have altered things.
0 Ratings
andymils
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thank you Umpire. I live in Cheshire. I will search those forums and ask around for a reliable local independent engineer to come out.... There is a signal strength indicator check on the Sky+ Box; mine read about 60-65% of full strength. Not sure if this is normal?
0 Ratings