cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Poor quality picture on BT Sport 4

I am watching the live Chelsea game tonight on BT Sport 4 and the picture quality is lower quality than on other live games I have previously watched on channels 2 and 3. This is the second time I have observed a worse picture on channel 4.

I am watching using Chromecast. When static the quality looks ok but is noticeably fuzzy/blurred with movement. It does not appear to be 1080p 50Hz yet is the main live football event on at the time.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Poor quality picture on BT Sport 4

There shouldn't be any reason why BT Sport 4 would be any lower than 1 - 3.
If you check 1 - 3 now, does it also show low quality?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

I have just switched to chan 1 and the picture also looks poor quality with movement for me so it doesn't appear to be just chan 4.  My download speed is appx. 16 Mbps.

I also found this from a Google search

"The video quality on the BT Sport 1-3 channels goes up to 1080p50 - full HD. If you're watching on any of the other channels then they only go up to 720p25 which can look a bit grainy on larger TVs."

It's from the following thread, is this applicable to the app on android?

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-sport-video-quality-using-BT-Sport-Ap...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Sort of same here. BT Sport 4 buffering every 30 seconds or so via Chromecast .Watching on Android phone only is fine.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

There are a few threads about Chromecast. Unfortunately we had to switch to using the new Google Player which is still unreliable. We're working with Google to understand the cause, however you should find that rebooting your Chromecast immediately before you use it will cause it to work at its best - the performance will degrade over time, resulting in increased buffering and lower bitrates.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Thanks for the update Darren. For information I had poor picture quality immediately after powering on my Chromecast device on chan 4.

Also did you get a chance to see the following question I  previously posted:

I found this on google

"The video quality on the BT Sport 1-3 channels goes up to 1080p50 - full HD. If you're watching on any of the other channels then they only go up to 720p25 which can look a bit grainy on larger TVs."

It's from the following thread, is this applicable to the app on android using Chromecast?

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-sport-video-quality-using-BT-Sport-Ap...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

I'm not sure if I was mistaken earlier this year, or if the quality changed when it became a BT Sport channel (previously it was ESPN).  I checked last night before responding though and confirmed BT Sport 4 goes up to 1080p50.

Which model of Chromecast do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Thanks for checking, I have a 3rd gen Chromecast device supporting up to 1920x1080 at 60fps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

OK, looking at your final experience on BT Sport 2 last night, I think this might be one of the most variable sessions I've ever seen.  I'm not sure how well this graph will come across on here:

DarrenDev_0-1666782396444.png

It shows you toggling between middle and top quality constantly for the first hour, but then settling for the second.

I know we had some service issues last night, but I'm not sure which channels were affected or what time they occurred. Your sessions all night appear to be pretty bad though.  I can't explain it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Ok it's good you can see what I was experiencing, it matches what I was seeing with the quality getting better as time went on for BT 2. Earlier on BT 4 it was all of a lower quality.

I hope these issues can be resolved soon. Thanks for the quick feedback though.

0 Ratings