Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stevetwin
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Power line adapters for bt sport

Hi thinking of getting bt sport , at the moment I am using a Powerline adapters for my humax recorder which is working fine , been reading different things about this so not sure

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Paul1360
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Power line adapters for bt sport

BT have not said that powerline adts will work or have not said that they willn't, so it may be a case of trying and see when BT Sport goes live. As an aside I use Power line adts to to run sky go on my laptop and when I did a speed test on my lappy it was 45Mb downand 12 Mb up and sky go work's great, so going by this I think they jay be ok.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
jfsfoster
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I intend to use PLAs. But I think BT will only support a networking problem if you are using a patch cable between the homehub and the youview box.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 4 of 15

TBH I'm not sure if any provider offers support for any sort PLA, I do know for sure Sky don't and will not even entertain any talk of them. I know people that have had mega problems with PLA's for surffing et al and not streaming. Have to wait and see what BT do but I not expect much.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
jamesbennett67
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I ordered BT Vision ready for BT Sport and then was told that even though I have 77mb download and 20mb upload through my powerline adaptor  BT Sport would not work, by both their sales team and technical department.  They would not even give me the BT Sport service to try it out and so I cancelled my order and will just be watching on my Mac

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 15

The use of Power lines depends very much on your broadband speed into your house and the speed around your house which is dependant on your electricity wiring. Because of this BT has made a stance that they will not support Power lines but recommend that the Vision Box is connected directly to the Home Hub.

If your wiring is good and your speed is good then there is no reason why all IPTV channels will not work. Only problem if you do have any difficulties, BT will not help - because they don't support them.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

If you are confident that your powerline adapters are fast enough then you're going to have to lie and say that your box is directly connected to your Home Hub to get the service. But accept that if you have problems with watching the live channels you're not going to be able to complain to BT about them!

0 Ratings
adibeau
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Well I've got a similar set up using power line adapters and went ahead and ordered BT sport. I can confirm they I can now see the channels when flicking through my vision guide. My speeds are nowhere near those mentioned above though.
I'm assuming that as I can now see it and its streaming fine then I should be okay - hopefully....
0 Ratings
ron2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

You do not need mega speed to watch BT Sport. 2Mbps is more than enough. Even the slowest powerline adapter will do the job.
Powerline adapters are networking connections. I do not see any reason why it will not work.
Do not be put off that they do not support it. They would say that just to cover themselves.

0 Ratings
tulipbicycle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Just tried to add BT Sport and HD to my FTTP setup. Person I initially spoke to said I could use power adaptors, but because I have FTTP I had to be transferred to a woman in a different team. All was going well until she suddenly told me that BT Sport MUST be via ethernet and that it would not work through power adaptors as it required a direct connection to the modem separate from the Youview box.
When I explained that the place chosen by the engineer for the modem is in my office 3 rooms away from the lounge, she could only suggest an ethernet cable, which she said MUST be inside the house, and which would at its least obtrusive require surface wiring up to and down from the loft, and they could do for £35.
Is this all true, or could I in fact find it did work via the adaptors?
Also, if hard wiring is essential, why does the BT website not make this clear?
In total exasperation, I have stopped the Vision order - we will now watch BT Sport using whichever of the PC, our IPad or Smart TV gives acceptable quality, saving £49 plus £5 a month, but of course not in HD.
0 Ratings