cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flowboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Re: BT Sport app on Windows 10 pc

Well I have since tried (for a week) & abandoned Chromecast as it seems non functioning with Home hub 3 (FON enabled as per normal BT broadband / router set up). C-cast might work with FON "opted out" but you lose FON service.

But I streamed std BT Sport App "catch-up" video last night via Google Chrome & it was almost as good as it had been on I.E. in W8.1   Has similar annoying symptoms in that the screen froze within 5 mins & then at various points every 10 or 15 mins or so (more often than in W8.1) Sound continues as normal. However, no watery grey screen moments which is an improvement.

I can drag the vid back & it will freeze at the same point - if I do this a couple of times it eventually will play through. Alternatively I drag it past this point & it will play but misses some footage. It is very slow /cranky to reload doing either of these so it is hard to tell exactly where it will start - the drag control is a bit hit or miss.

I wonder if the regularity of the screen freeze is to do with some function of the router/BT service - if our bandwidth is marginal then maybe FON demand although small, is enough to tip it into freezing? Other than some other hub activities or possible restrictions, there are also plenty of items in our pc's automatically sending data out which might also be an issue?

Dell 17R 5737, new hard drive & install of Windows 10.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Moved to its own thread as off subject to original thread.  Multiple postings on numerous threads is not advisable.

0 Ratings
chime
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

@flowboy wrote:

Well I have since tried (for a week) & abandoned Chromecast as it seems non functioning with Home hub 3 (FON enabled as per normal BT broadband / router set up). C-cast might work with FON "opted out" but you lose FON service.

I use Chromecast with a HH3 with very little problem. In 8 hours of continuous viewing (WTA) I might briefly get a spinning arrow on a couple of occasions but the coverage continues where it left off. The rare times that the streaming fails it is due to external network factors (other Internet use is slow at these times).

My connection is 6.563 Mbps ADSL2+ with FON enabled, although probably not used by anybody. FON bandwidth is limited and priority is given to non-FON use.

flowboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Interested to know what setup details you used with the hub as I couldn't get it to link with the dongle despite trying (I think) all options. I was aware of the non-FON priority & small bandwidth it uses so couldn't see that it would make a big difference but we have had bandwidth problems here before so I think we may be marginal despite "Broadband speedchecker" saying we have 17Mb/s download. I didn't try opting out of FON which was suggested as (possibly) necessary. Streaming slightly better today at 3pm as opposed to 11pm last night = appalling.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
chime
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

It being over 2 years ago that I set it up I've had to read the set-up instructions to remind myself what was required.

I made no changes to the HH3 prior to setting up the Chromecast. Most, such as DHCP Server enabled, were at default settings. For the Chromecast I just remember following the setup procedure and it worked.

Since setting it up I did move it to another part of the room (from into TV to into AV amp). Using a short HDMI extension lead I did have problems positioning it to get a reliable wifi signal (the HH3 is not far away on the other side of a partition wall) but found I can always get a connection if it is plugged directly into the AV amp.

Not much help in sorting your problem. Good luck.

0 Ratings