cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shrimper1
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: I Hate to be Grumpy on Day One!

Thank God I've just seen this thread, as it talks about error messages with a prefix: "YVM" or something like that.

As my package is a Youview box (fed by a Freeview roof aerial) and connected to our TV, with the YV Box also connected to my DELL computer (which enjoys the best BT Infinity download and Upload speeds for my SS6 postcode: 35 Meg D/load, 7 Meg Upload). However, all my error messages are prefixed "VC", and boy have I had many and various numbers following the "VC", since I went live on 14/08/2013. Now to keep calm, my error message seems to have settled for err: VC025 for most of today; I take this as a sort of progress in my current state of mind (regarding BT's LIVE BT SPORTS 1 & 2 plus ESPN service, via the net).

I mention the net, as it took my phone contact with BT (since 6/08/2013), to get my TV BT Sports package to be activated on the 8th August! .............. as it had been overlooked by BT Sports' wonderful technicians since the 6th August BT's contract start date, despite several enquiries by us over the 48 hour period to many and various customer service guys & gals!

IMHO, quite frankly this project appears to have been launched my a crowd pulled in off the streets, where some have already done a runner because they lied about their qualifications, or have been appalled with the chaos around them!

The current position of BT Sports CS team is to question my computer hardware, however, as I get a superb LIVE internet feed from SKY SPORTS to the same computer, without any "BOX" being involved, it leaves me with a feeling that they are flying a kite;-) !  And btw, I don't receive SKY Sports TV via a box or dish, as I'm not a main line subcriber to SKY, my son is (who lives 15 miles away). He's authorised a bonus internet feed from SKY, to my computer :-)

As you can imagine, I'm pretty pxxxxd off that SKY's quality INTERNET feed works, but the BT one that as cost me £49 deposit, plus £5/month introductory fee, DOES NOT WORK!!!

I am also a small BT shareholder, so this appalling launch of theirTV/Internet product will no doubt crucify BT's share price, if they don't shape up PDQ!

Also I have BT's top BT Infinity fibre internet package, as I like to watch live stuff on the net (with no freezing and other hiccups), so am paying top dollar and expect top value & service for my money ........... especially being one year into my State Pension ;-)

Perhaps I'll wake up tomorrow, and all will be sorted! ................... then again, I've got to the stage when I'm likely to see bacon flying ;-)

p.s. any suggestions to get my BT Sport internet service will be welcome ...... only boring and sensible ones please Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Why is your YouView box connected to a Dell computer?  It's supposed to be connected to the Home Hub, and through that to the BT broadband.

BT use "multicast" for streaming their new TV services over Infinity.  Multicast has no tolerance for drop-outs or slow connections - there's no buffering.  BT recommends that the YouView box is connected directly to the Home Hub by an ethernet cable.

Any other kind of connection may not work.  Using any router other than the Home Hub may not work either.

Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

First of all, most people on here dont give a rats **bleep** about BT's share price.  You dont really give much detail in the novel you posted about what package you have, what equipment you have etc.

What does your BT id say about your viewing status for Sports?

Telboy.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 4 of 9

As you've been told by other posters and BT, you need to connect the YouView box directly to the Home Hub and not to the computer. If you don't, the channels won't work. It's that simple. 

0 Ratings
Fiscalist
Message 5 of 9

No one with half a brain says its that simple when they are dealing with a BT product. I have been told that my profile needs to be migrated and that will take 3 days. I shouldn't complain as I am getting BT Sport for free! Oh, and when I try to access online it doesn't work either as my activation hasn't worked. Customer services tried to tell me it was a browser problem but they didn't take me up on the offer to bet on that. I had to get the Head of Customer Services in Glasgow to sort out my original set up and was eventually compensated for the number of wasted BT engineer visits. Looks as though it may be going the same way again....BT Technical side has not caught up with their marketing and their customer service is useless.
0 Ratings
Shrimper1
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Don't hold yer breath for a constructive response from some of the below posters, as I'm still without live Bt Sports/ESPN on my computer screen!

.............. and for the benefit of those who suggested some useful checks:-

1) my "BT hub" is (and always has been) correctly connected to my YOUVIEW box.

2) Despite numerous calls to BT's helpline, not once has there been an offer of a BT comms man to come and physically check out why I can't get live internet sport on my compute.

3) Now, I've posted this elsewhere on this forum, but apparently even though I can receive pre-recorded BT/ESPN sport video on my computer; I will never get a live net broadcast, while my DELL computer's RAM is below BT's minimum spec and it's processor is 32 BIT - when BT's min. requirement is 64 BIT.

A "bit" naughty of BT ;-)  as this was not made clear when the package was sold to me. So when the incentives come off their standard monthly live "Sports" fees, then I will be on my toes, as I will not pay full price for "half" the service. 

You can find BT's live sport spec reqs for customers' computers @ http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/getting-ready-for-bt-infinity

However this excludes the mandatory req. for a 64 BIT processor Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi Shrimper

I run Windows XP 32 bit (SP3) on a laptop with a 1.66 ghz processor, 2gb Ram,using Firefox, and receive BT Sport online without any problems. My laptop uses WiFi connection to my Home Hub Secure Connection. I have checked the link to computer specification requirements and can find no reference to a need for a 64bit system. If you check Silverlight requirements they are quite low ( 1.6 ghz processor and 512mb ram) and broadband speed requirement is only 400kps. I think you have been given duff information! Try clearing all your browsing history and then  run Firefox in Private Browsing mode and see if this makes any difference. If you get the dreaded 6025  VC019 error just hit the continue button. Good luck

0 Ratings
Shrimper1
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Cheers for the info John, but there's been another development during the last 24 hours ......  a public Bt Vision fault within a few hundred yards of my home. I received this notification automatically from BT referencing my GB a/c number.

n.b. BT appear to classify BT youview and Vision together Cat Indifferent

"Vision Problem - Fri 11 Oct 17:18

Further diagnostic tests began at the time and date shown to find the problem with your vision service. Once we know more we will contact you using your contact details above and once we have fixed your problem you will see an update on this page. Thanks for your patience"

It also showed a diagramatic, which detailed:- 1) BT Retail servers   2) BT Exchange  3) Close to customer's property 4) Customer's equipment. The link for this is: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do

It also indicates that the problem relates to BT Retail servers ................ perhaps some light-fingered East European has helped himself to some Hi tech equipment ;-) .............. a la the many thefts of copper cable from railways etc.

p.s. my error code has settled down to: 6030  VC019

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Hi Shrimper

A BT Vision fault should not affect your computer, unless you have lost your broadband connection. Have you got an android device? I have a  Kindle Fire HD and using the available app.( which apparently should'nt work on a Kindle, but it does!) I get a very good stream from BT Sport. I can connect my Kindle to my TV and get an excellent picture. It's a good alternative to the on-line app if you continue to have problems.

0 Ratings