cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Re: Online broadcast restrictions on some ESPN content

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/Online-broadcast-restrictions-on-some-ESPN-content/td-p/959344

Disappointing. Is this likely to change in the near future?

So how can I watch the channels broadcast over Freeview?

I've tried looking at the account options for my Infinity contract, but it isn't clear.

I'm sure when I took out Infinity there was an option to take BT TV for an additional fee, but I don't see that option now.

I'd be happy to pay a (small) fee for this, if BT wanted to take my money ...

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 24

You mean this? http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34212
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
dwc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Well, yes, but whenever I try to follow a path to add it to my Infinity contract I just get to a page that says "BT Sport is Free for Infinity Customers" and no option to add BT Vision.

I guess I'll need to make a call.

0 Ratings
dwc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

heh, well I finally found the right link. But after filling in several pages and submitting I get this:

Good news!

You've already got access to BT Sport. Watch online at btsport.com or via our Apple and Android apps.

Watch BT Sport now

If you'd like to talk to us about upgrading your BT Sport Pack so you can watch via your TV please call us on 0800 731 0286.

So it does have to be a call by the looks of it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

ESPN online restrictions

Does anyone know precisely how much of ESPN's content online is going to be restricted?

I would, for example, quite like to watch live baseball but will all live MLB be restricted on the online player?

And is this situation likely to improve in the future?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 24

Just one point dwc,

If you are on Infinity then BT should deliver the sports channels to you over Infinity broadband as multicast channels (rather than over-the-aerial). This will include ESPN and the HD versions (HD £3 extra). The BT Youview box now supports these channels over Infinity and is a better box than the BT Vision+ box. So if you are going to spend £49 then the BT Youview box would be the way to go.

You only really need the older design BT Vision+ box if you need to use a sports viewing card (because you can't get Infinity multicast channels) or you want to have Sky Sports 1&2. 

dwc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Thanks umpire. I'll try to ask all the right questions.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

I am pretty peeved about these online restrictions. While I accept the need for them I don't feel this was included in the advertised product I signed up for. One of the main reasons i chose BT internet was for the live baseball; tonight I have once again been left disappointed by this situation. Is this going to be the case for all live baseball from now on?

A disappointed customer here.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 9 of 24

These restrictions are not down to BT but are in the contracts that MLB signed with Fox Sport and ESPN back in 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy
0 Ratings
lodge1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

I am also very unhappy about these restrictions.  I fully accept that it has nothing to do with BT, but nowhere was this made clear when BT were pushing BT Sport, and like others here I mainly watch the Baseball.  So far this week 2 games that I wanted to watch have been blacked out, and I'd like to know what will be the situation regarding the playoffs and World Series - will they be live on the Internet for BT Sport customers?

So we have the situation where the free content on BT Sport is less than if you pay to watch it on TV.  That missing content is a big deal for me, and I feel I've been misled by BT.

0 Ratings