cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sd99
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Really confused - can I get BT sport via youview with BT ADSL?

Hi

I have BT Broadband option 3 (unlimited 17MB ADSL) and watch BT Sport via the online app which is a pain. I want to watch it on the big screen via my youview box (I used to have BT essential until I realised I was paying £5 for nothing as sport was fibre only).

Anyway, when I logged in today, it says:

"Get your BT Sport pack free with BT-TV", and that as an existing customer I can add BT-TV to my broadband.

I clicked "I have standard BT broadband" and it says:

"BT SPORT PACK IS BEST ON BT TV AND IT'S FREE
BT Sport Europe
The only place to watch
UEFA Champions League live
Pick a package and add BT Sport for FREE"

It then says about BT Essential costing £5/month and £35 activation.

The next page it says

"Watch BT Sport on your TV
Catch all the action on the big screen with BT TV. You'll also get an enhanced red button service so you'll never miss a goal. Watch on the app and online too
Add BT Sport Pack FREE" with a big check box.

Costings:
Monthly costs
Essential £5
BT Sport Pack - on BT TV FREE

One-off costs
TV activation fee £35

Now, is BT Sport really now available on ADSL or is this just a sneaky way of getting me to sign up again only to be told I cannot get it on youview, and have to use the app online?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Really confused - can I get BT sport via youview with BT ADSL?

You can watch via the app on your big TV by connecting the device (mobile / tablet etc) to the TV.
0 Ratings
sd99
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Ugh,.. I can do that already by connecting my laptop to TV via HDMI.

By saying "Catch all the action on the big screen with BT TV. You'll also get an enhanced red button service so you'll never miss a goal" it makes it sound like BT-TV (youview), and by paying this £5 a month, that I'll be able to watch it on the TV box and use the red button.  Is this not the case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

According to the BT Sport web site, you can "Watch live sport on BT TV with a BT Infinity or BT Broadband package. And if you can get BT Infinity with BT TV, you can add BT Sport HD for a small monthly fee."

So you should be able to get sport on BT TV even on ADSL, provided your exchange supports it (and most do by now).  You can't get Sport HD.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sd99
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

How can I check if my exchange supports it?  Which sport channels can I get via freeview?

0 Ratings
sd99
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

BT Openreach's line checker says I can get both fibre (FTTP not FTTC) + copper multicast,  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

It's the "copper multicast" that you need to get the new streaming TV channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

BT Sport on BT TV via ADSL broadband requires the Copper Multicast service to be available for your line.

It also requires an ADSL or ADSL2+ speed of at least 5.25Mbps. I think BT go by the estimate that the BT Wholesale Checker reports for your line.

It used to also require that Infinity wasn't an option for your line, but BT seem to have recently removed that clause from the legal stuff smallprint. I'm not sure where BT officially stand on this now as they don't really make it clear.

It doesn't offer HD Sport channels and only guarantees you being able to watch/record one SD multicast channel at a time. I think it might work with two if you have a fast ADSL connection though.

Unfortunately, like much of the over complicated BT TV and BT Sport offerings, it's difficult to get precise answers before you order and activate things. Of course this means you don't know if you want to order!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

I've also not seen it verified that all the BT Sport Extra red button multicast streams will definitely be available on Copper Multicast as well as Fibre Multicast. Does anyone have confirmation that they will be?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@umpire wrote:
I've also not seen it verified that all the BT Sport Extra red button multicast streams will definitely be available on Copper Multicast as well as Fibre Multicast. Does anyone have confirmation that they will be?

To answer my own question.

See here for an example order confirmation for BT Sport on BT TV over ADSL.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-has-announced-its-new-packages-for-BT-Sport-for-the-15-16/m-...

It does mention the BT Sport Extra service.

0 Ratings