cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laneo1331
Message 1 of 12

Recording extra channels and BT Sport

As I understand it if you sign up to the BT TV Sport and extra channels package they will be delivered via broadband rather than aerial, Will you be able to record these services or will you have to view them live?  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
trapdoor
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Recording extra channels and BT Sport

You can certainly record the current 'Extra Channels' such as Discovery, Nat Geo, History etc.

As for the BT Sport channels, no idea. They may implement restrictions to disallow recording, but I can't see why they should.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

It seems you will,only be able to watch or record one of the Sports Chnnels at a time if they are streamed.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44672/c/6428
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@cooperman wrote:
It seems you will,only be able to watch or record one of the Sports Chnnels at a time if they are streamed.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44672/c/6428

Apparently that is a restriction that applies to those receiving the streamed channel(s) in ADSL only areas not to those in infinity areas with multicast.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

Please note that you will require an Infinity line speed of at least 18mb to watch and record two HD chans. simultaneously
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

@skappy70 wrote:
Please note that you will require an Infinity line speed of at least 18mb to watch and record two HD chans. simultaneously

and... whilst doing this and if you only have 18mb you will not be able to use your broadband as there will be no capacity. I know this is obvious but some people are just users and just expect it to work. BT do not give you this information when you sign up for infinity.

To provide a little more info. for those who read this:

In my case they said I would get 17.4, this may be the truth but the advisor did not say I would not be able to record HD while watching another HD channel.

From the way the speed of Infinity is scaled, having viewed a graph in another thread, it would suggest there will/are many people with a lower speed than those with a higher speed. As you radiate out from the cabinet from where your feed comes the speed drops quite quickly. Once you get about 1.5km from the cabinet (cable length) the speed is likely to be below 20.

For me at 17.4 the cabinet is at the end of my street say 150m - 200m but the cable length must go another route resulting in my speed of 17.4. If I had signed up and later found I could not record then I would have been really disappointed in BT but could not do anything about it because they would say, well, we told you the speed.

It should be in BT's interest to fully inform their potential subscribers unless they don't care and are just money grabbers?

I think it is essential that everyone who signs up to infinity in order to receive BTVision/Sport should ask a series of questions and receive answers before they sign up.

Perhaps the more knowledgeable here would come up with a list?

All the best

0 Ratings
Overlook
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Well it's been quite a few "few weeks after" the launch of BT sports and we're still unable to record the sports or extra channels.

I have deliberately held off ordering the extra channels until the function is available.

The question remains as to when will the record function be available?.....Mods?

MartinH
Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Overlook wrote:

Well it's been quite a few "few weeks after" the launch of BT sports and we're still unable to record the sports or extra channels.

I have deliberately held off ordering the extra channels until the function is available.

The question remains as to when will the record function be available?.....Mods?

Soon.

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Soon? Shall I take that with the usual pinch of salt required for updates from both BT and YouView?

Leebool
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

We've been told 'soon' since August 1st.
0 Ratings