cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 25

Re: Retail YouView owners - are we wasting our time?

Well I have the '29' config MartinH and, although the channels are on my EPG (and I can actually play the test card on Channel 900), I can't watch any content on the '500' channels and just get the 'subscribe to BT TV' pages.

So from Red Snows experience, as well as a 29 ISP config or above, it also seems that your particular connection then needs to be provisioned for the channels. He's gotten around that by paying for another box on a standard BT TV package, enabling the channels to his connection, which are then detected by his retail box as well as his 'spare' BT box.

The useful thing this tells us is that the only thing stopping us receiving the BT Sport channels is BTs provisioning system, and the availability of a package designed for Retail box owners.

Once they release a product for people who already own their own box (but are BT Infinity customers) then there are no other technical hold-ups.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 22 of 25

@Colin_London wrote:

Well I have the '29' config MartinH and, although the channels are on my EPG (and I can actually play the test card on Channel 900), I can't watch any content on the '500' channels and just get the 'subscribe to BT TV' pages.

So from Red Snows experience, as well as a 29 ISP config or above, it also seems that your particular connection then needs to be provisioned for the channels. He's gotten around that by paying for another box on a standard BT TV package, enabling the channels to his connection, which are then detected by his retail box as well as his 'spare' BT box.

The useful thing this tells us is that the only thing stopping us receiving the BT Sport channels is BTs provisioning system, and the availability of a package designed for Retail box owners.

Once they release a product for people who already own their own box (but are BT Infinity customers) then there are no other technical hold-ups.

I always knew it's just an account permissions thing, that's what annoys the hell out of me when their staff either lie or simply make up BS because they're too lazy to find out the facts.

Aall BT nneds to do is move customers to the £12.50 package rather than the £10 per month one.  If there really are so few of us, it can't be more than an afternoon's work.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 23 of 25

YouView's head developer honcho has confirmed - as we all guessed - that it's the ISP configuration that's the key to getting the channels and that it's solely down to BT when they make that available:

"As I've mentioned here before, the software for all Humax boxes is multicast Internet channel enabled already, and the recent BT releases just fix some minor problems that most retail customers will not be experiencing yet - because they don't have the necessary BT ISP config. How and when retail customers get the right configuration for BT Internet channels is a question for BT, not YouView."

http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/a_new_bt_led_software_update_available_for_customers_wit...

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 25

MartinH,

I hope you haven't cancelled yet - it appears BT have issued an update to their May statement:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-reveals-bt-sport-via-retail-youview-boxes-details/0728968/

Now wouldn't it be great if this info was published on the BT Website rather than third party sites?

You can bet however that there will be no 'free HD' - £3 extra a month there I should think.

Mods - can anything be done to make your call centre staff aware of this so they don't have to make things up any more?

MartinH
Expert
Message 25 of 25

For a communications company BT haven't handled the communication of this very well. 

0 Ratings