cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Sky/BT Sports unacceptable picture quality, square/pixels/freeze/etc

Hello

Since the launch of BT Sports channels the quality of my Sky Sports, ESPN and BT Sports channels have all been very very poor.  Ranging from interuptions to unwatchable, and generally getting worse.  I have had no problem with other channels, or broadband, occasional drop off on catch up (but I rarely use it).

I've lost count of number of calls to BT - varying responses including new downloads, reboots, change the socket of the home hub, take viewing card out, (laughable) claims that all customers affected, (completely insulting) claims that it is a 24 hour problem, announcements that it is fixed with swift hang up, etc.  All without any improvement.  Ashes interupted, several premier league games missed, etc.  And I pay these guys £60+ per month.

My broadband speed is okay 4 or 5, much less than the 16 I pay for but that shouldn't affect it, right.  I have HH3, set top box is about 3 years old.  I've noticed sky sports on TV and wifi on phone/PC makes things worse.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
MartinH
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Sky/BT Sports unacceptable picture quality, square/pixels/freeze/etc

@SaveMeFromCallCentre wrote:

Hello

Since the launch of BT Sports channels the quality of my Sky Sports, ESPN and BT Sports channels have all been very very poor.  Ranging from interuptions to unwatchable, and generally getting worse.  I have had no problem with other channels, or broadband, occasional drop off on catch up (but I rarely use it).

I've lost count of number of calls to BT - varying responses including new downloads, reboots, change the socket of the home hub, take viewing card out, (laughable) claims that all customers affected, (completely insulting) claims that it is a 24 hour problem, announcements that it is fixed with swift hang up, etc.  All without any improvement.  Ashes interupted, several premier league games missed, etc.  And I pay these guys £60+ per month.

My broadband speed is okay 4 or 5, much less than the 16 I pay for but that shouldn't affect it, right.  I have HH3, set top box is about 3 years old.  I've noticed sky sports on TV and wifi on phone/PC makes things worse.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks

Paul

Of course it will, the Sky Sports channels are delivered via broadband and your line speed is pretty low. If you use multiple devices at the same time you'll be reducing the amount of bandwidth available to the box which will result in a worse picture.

You need to connect your Hub to the main BT socket using the shortest possible cable and connect your PC to it via an ethernet cable, then do a speed test to see if that imprives the speeds you're getting. 

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply Martin!

After 2 months and many hours of the BT call centre lies, they have now diagnosed what you did in 2 minutes.  And their solution?  Switch off my Sky Sports!!  I'm still in shock 3 days later.

They claim my 4Mbs is an "acceptable" level but not enough for Sky Sports (min 5.2Mbs).  Clearly not acceptable level in my mind but they refuse to send an engineer, instead suggesting I "wait for infinity" (I'm not sure they've noticed the irony of that statement).  Which leaves me French Connectioned as Virgin doesn't supply my street and I'm not allowed to install a Sky dish on the building.

Anyone with tips/experiences of pursuing this (Ofcom?), or on how to stream Sky Sports games on the internet welcome...

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 4

Hi SaveMeFromCallCentre,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear of the predicament you find yourself in.

I can only presume that they haven't offered to send an engineer to look at your broadband speed because your line is running at the maximum that it will support.  When you signed up to BT did they give you an estimate of what speed we think your line will support?

Id be happy to run a few checks from my end to see if there are any issues with your speed.  Please drop me an email, click on my username (SeanD) and you will find my contact link, under the 'About me' section of my profile.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings