cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wardjnr
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Streaming in SD on Android device with WiFi

Hi all. I recently got the latest version of BT Sport on my Android tablet. Previously when I hit the 'watch live' button, I had the option to stream in SD or up to HD, but in the new version it just goes straight into what I think is the enhanced player. The picture is very jerky in HD, which I think is because of the tablet rather than my WiFi.

So basically, is there a way to stream only at SD? Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Streaming in SD on Android device with WiFi

The Enhanced player refers to the player which includes features such as multicam, the timeline, the stats etc. It does not affect the quality of the picture.

If you'd like to limit the quality of the picture in the Enhanced player you will need to 'click' on the menu icon in the top left of the main app and click on Settings at the bottom of that menu. Under Enhanced player video quality, deselect 'Up to HD' so that you only get Up to SD. If you're watching your sport within the Standard player then you can select the video quality within that player.

BT Sport expertKitH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 16

The "Up to HD" setting only applies when using mobile data not wi-fi.
0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 4 of 16

Apologies forgot you were referring to WiFi specifically. The app uses Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) so the stream should match whatever the speed of your broadband is, so it shouldn't actually matter if you limit it manually or not - the ABR should do that for your automatically.

What device are you using and what version OS?

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
wardjnr
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the response. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, with Android 6.0.1 (the tablet tells me this it's up-to-date). It's by no means an amazing tablet, but it's in good order and I literally use it only for streaming BT Sport. Before the BT Sport app updated I had exactly the same issue, but I was able to select SD when I launched the player. As it now takes me to the enhanced player directly, I can't toggle between SD and HD.

I actually think the ABR may be the issue, it's like the image is constantly adjusting. Each adjustment by itself is almost unnoticeable, but it happens every couple of seconds so it becomes really annoying quite quickly.

Whether it's the WiFi or the tablet, if there was a way to just stream in SD I think it would fix it. 

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

@KitHwrote:

Apologies forgot you were referring to WiFi specifically. The app uses Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) so the stream should match whatever the speed of your broadband is, so it shouldn't actually matter if you limit it manually or not - the ABR should do that for your automatically.

The thing is that I sometimes want to watch BT TV/Sport while parked up out on the road on my Android tablet tethered to my mobile phone and I would want to limit it to SD to reduce the drain on my monthly mobile data allowance.  The tablet thinks it is connected via wi-fi so the inbuilt option as supplied is useless.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 7 of 16

Thanks for confirming the device. The Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 doesn't support Full HD and I think that's where the problem lies, because Adaptive bitrate only takes connection speed into account, not device spec.

We will look into whether we can add another toggle into Settings to allow Up to SD streaming on WiFi. For background, we removed the popup and put in Settings to make it easier for customers to get into watching their favourite sport without annoying popups (as people tended to select the same resolution every time), but I'm sorry this has resulted in a poorer experience for you. It will take some time to get this into a release but keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks.

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 8 of 16

We will look into whether we can add another toggle into Settings to allow Up to SD streaming on WiFi. For background, we removed the popup and put in Settings to make it easier for customers to get into watching their favourite sport without annoying popups (as people tended to select the same resolution every time), but I'm sorry this has resulted in a poorer experience for you. It will take some time to get this into a release but keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks.

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

To be fair I can usually park where I can connect the tablet to a BT Wi-Fi hotspot though sometimes I may need to move down the road a couple of times to find and make a solid connection. Falling back on mobile phone tethering is very much a desperate last measure especially if I can watch on catch-up later.

0 Ratings
wardjnr
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Thanks for the response Kit. Personally I always find having more options is better than fewer, and don't mind clicking to make those selections, but I know from my own limited work in tech development that not everyone shares that view! So I'm happy that you'll work the option back into the app, even if it takes a while. Of course, if there was a way to bring back the 'up to SD/ HD' optio when you launch the player in the short term until the new settings feature for WiFi is ready, that'd be even better!

Cheers. 

0 Ratings