cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
michael_gilroy
Beginner
Message 31 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

Hi for Linux users there is a work around.

I posted the solution here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/BT-Sport-and-Linux/td-p/983178/highlight...

The posts have been hijacked by people moaning about operating systems. 

I'll repeat the answer here.

Proper solution to this question for ubuntu is the following:

Install pipelight with wine-silverlight5.0 (5.1 is not working at the moment)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mqchael/pipelight
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pipelight

sudo apt-get install wine-silverlight5.0-installer

Now we need to setup the configuration file for pipelight

cp /usr/share/pipelight/pipelight ~/.config/pipelight

Edit new config file ( gedit ~/.config/pipelight)  and change the dllPath and silverlightVersion to use the following values:

dllPath = c:\Program Files\Silverlight\5.0.61118.0\

silverlightVersion = silverlight5.0

This makes pipelight use the older 5.0 version of silverlight

If you have tried previously, close your browser and delete the following folder:

rm ~/.wine-pipelight/

Start you browser, you will need to install a browser app to fool the server into thinking the browser is running in windows:

• Firefox: install UAControl or User Agent Overrider extensions and use one of the following user agents:
    • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20120427 Firefox/15.0a1
    • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
    • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:23.0) Gecko/20131011 Firefox/23.0
  • Chrome: install User Agent Switcher  extension and select Windows Firefox 15 from the extension preferences.

I've tested in firefox setting to appear as firefox/22.0 in windows.

My answer was based upon the following guides:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/pipelight-using-silverlight-in-linux-browsers.html

To the idiots that have been claiming Linux is a hobbiest OS, grow up. Hopefully once silverlight is dumped a standards based product will be made available that will work on everything.

0 Ratings
8ajh8
Message 32 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

Thanks for that, extremely useful . . . unlike BT Support staff.  Got it to work straight away in Firefox on KDE Mint 14, Chrome got a bit lost but I'll happily settle for Firefox.

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 41

Hi Michael

Got this to work on Linux Mint 15(64 Bit) but it seems I need to delete wine pipelight folder each time I use the browser., otherwise it doesn't work. Is there something I have done wrong with the installation?

After further use I have discovered that i can close my first choice stream and open a second stream, but if I close the second stream I cannot open another stream.

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 41

My pipelight installation updated today and caused the plug-in to change to 5.1. Could not then get the online player to function. The following from the pipeline site got it working again:-

In a Terminal issue the following commands:-

sudo pipelight-plugin --disable silverlight5.1
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight5.0

Delete the .wine.pipelight folder from your home/ user  directory and you should be OK to go to BT Sport .

0 Ratings
MrHip
Message 35 of 41

Smiley Mad

Thanks BT. My contract expires in February and THIS TIME I will be looking for a new provider. One that supports Linux!

0 Ratings
PaulLangdon678
Beginner
Message 36 of 41

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the the how to.

I am stuck however on

cp /usr/share/pipelight/pipelight ~/.config/pipelight

I get message saying 'cannot stat ‘pipelight’: No such file or directory'. There is certainly a file pipelight in the directory specified so must be problem with '~/.config/pipelight' command? 

I guess I must be making numpty mistake. Grateful for any advice.

I will also post to linked guide as appropriate.

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 41

Hi All posters on this topic.

Having been in touch with the pipelight people they advise that the instructions on this board for installing pipelight are outdated. Go to this page http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html for the updated instructions. I can confirm that they do work but you need to delete the .wine-pipelight folder in your user directory after each use of th e BT Sport web site. They are working on resolving this issue.

0 Ratings
ROBFLO
Message 38 of 41

i CAN CONFIRM THAT THESE INSTRUCTIONS DON'T WORK WITH MINT 16
0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 39 of 41

This is all very well if you're a Linux expert. Bottom line is BT advertise BT Sport without any detailed warnings re the requirements, exclusions and difficulties. Advertising Standards Authority, methinks.

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 41

Hi Robflo

I run Linux MInt 16 64 bit on my laptop and pipelight runs OK . Don't need to delete anything after each use of BT Sport ,just make sure the user sgent switcher is correctly set. Go here https://answers.launchpad.net/pipelight/+faq/2351 for correct settings.

0 Ratings