cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suffolktony
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Unable to Transfer My Sky/BT Sport HD Subscription To My New BT Youview Box.

Hi, I've been using my Sky HD box to view my BT Sports subscription. I recently decided the cost of Sky was getting too expensive, so I bought a BT Nowview box so I could record the Freeview channels I mostly watch. However, I've now discovered I'm unable to watch the BT Sports channels & to do so would require me to take out a subscription to BT TV, something I've no interest in doing.

This seems a crazy situation to me and makes no sense at all!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Unable to Transfer My Sky/BT Sport HD Subscription To My New BT Youview Box.

@Suffolktony wrote:

Hi, I've been using my Sky HD box to view my BT Sports subscription. I recently decided the cost of Sky was getting too expensive, so I bought a BT Nowview box so I could record the Freeview channels I mostly watch. However, I've now discovered I'm unable to watch the BT Sports channels & to do so would require me to take out a subscription to BT TV, something I've no interest in doing.

This seems a crazy situation to me and makes no sense at all!

BT Sport is delivered over multicast, from the BT Vision servers, that is why you would need to have a BT TV account associated with your existing BT Broadband connection.

As you have a YouView box, all you would need to do is to add the cheap non-recordable box to create the BT TV account, and then you can then use your existing YouView box instead.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 19

Re: Unable to Transfer My Sky/BT Sport HD Subscription To My New BT Youview Box.

Presumably you're not a BT Broadband customer. If you're not you need a TV subscription (with BT or another provider) to get BT Sport.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Suffolktony
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Yes, I am a BT Broadband customer - Superfast Fibre. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

@Suffolktony wrote:

Yes, I am a BT Broadband customer - Superfast Fibre. 

Then all you would need is the basic starter package, and then transfer your sports subscription to it.

0 Ratings
Suffolktony
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Thank you for your various suggestions, but none overcome the fact that, to get BT Sport on my new BT Youview box, I'll have to stump up more money, yet I can watch it on my present Sport subscription through a competitor's device, on my iPad, Android tablet etc., right now, without having to do so.

Am I alone in finding this pretty ridiculous?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

But you are saving money by cancelling your Sky subscription, so that offsets the cost.

0 Ratings
Suffolktony
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

But there is no cost if I watch BT Sports on my old Sky box! I can't record, but I can watch just fine, along with the Freesat channels. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

@Suffolktony wrote:

But there is no cost if I watch BT Sports on my old Sky box! I can't record, but I can watch just fine, along with the Freesat channels. 

Won`t Sky simply de-authorise your Sky box once you cancel your service with them, as I assume that is what they do, to stop people using their box for free to receive encrypted content?

As BT Sport is encrypted, you would lose access.

0 Ratings
Suffolktony
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

My box is already de-authorised, but any Sky box, as long as it's got a viewing card, even an old one, can be used to view all the Freesat channels. Oh, and BT Sport HD...

0 Ratings