cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Unable to watch live TV on BT TV app

Go to solution

I recently downloaded the BT TV app to watch live TV anywhere on my ipad.

I have the BT TV essentials package

The app download was successful, however I appear not to be able to watch even freeview channels live.

I select LIVE TV LISTING, which brings up all the freeview channels and programs.

If I select one (eg BBC 1) I get a menu saying do I want to record program or series, or to watch live tune my set box to Channel 1!

If I select the RECORD option I have to log into BT, then my ipad pairs with the set box and effectively becomes a remote control to allow me to set a recording.

At no point do I get to see live TV on my ipad.

This morning I hae spent an hour on the phone to various BT departments asking how to use the app to watch live TV.

I have been told conflicting information that I should at least be able to watch Freeview channels live using my Essentials TV package, or that I need to upgrade (but nobody knows to what!)

No one I have spoken to at BT appears to be familiar with how to use the app or requirements to use it.

Surely it cannot be that difficult - hopefully someone can confirm if my package will allow me to watch TV live, or what set up I need!!

Any help appreciated,

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to watch live TV on BT TV app

Go to solution
0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Unfortunately you won't get access to the Freeview channels.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Should be able to watch the Freeview channels using the broadcaster's own app eg iPlayer for BBC channels.
0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Yeah stupidly the live stuff is only what you’ve subscribed to.... Anything free you can’t play 🤔🤔 Go figure lol

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
If they did support this then all that would happen, in line with the way it works on the Youview box and your TV for example, is that the BT TV app would fire up the requisite broadcaster app (iPlayer, ITV Hub etc) to take over and (possibly) return to the BT TV app when it is finished.

TBH not really adding anything and there are plenty of other issues on which the time and effort could be better spent.