cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Watching ESPN and contract sign up length

Is there any way to get the ESPN channel (with the ability to record on my current BT YouView box) on a shorter contract than 24 months?

I want to watch some MLB games, but since they're in the States I'd rather watch them at better times for me. Now TV has ESPN but only live coverage.

I'll probably only want to watch the one season so 2 years seems an excessive length of time to have to sign up ... unless someone knows of another source of ESPN TV?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Watching ESPN and contract sign up length

Not with the ability to record, that feature comes from BT's TV packages, you can subscribe to the NowTV passes directly but that will be via the app, which rules out recording.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

ESPN is part of the BT Sport suite of channels. Are the games not available on catch-up via the BT Sport App? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Ooh, can I get the BT Sport App without having to sign up for 2 years?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks Nigel - That's what I figured, how disappointing. 2 year contracts in an age of rolling monthly contracts is so excessive ... £360 just to watch a few baseball games 😞

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Yeah you can access the App on a rolling monthly contract. I think it's £25 per month . Obviously you won't be able to record or watch on your Youview box so you'll need either a Smart TV with the App or a streaming stick, PS4, Xbox etc... 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thanks Nigel - this sounds useful. Will go and look into whether I can get the baseball games on catchup this way!
Message 8 of 12

Aww, doesn't look like MLB games are included in catch up according to https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-Sport-app-catch-up/td-p/1825868 I have messaged BT via Twitter to see what they have to say. 

Cheers for your help and advice with this 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

It's a very good question @Elaine218 

In previous years, there have been technical reasons why we couldn't provide replays for all content, however I believe that those limitations are now gone.  There may still be contractual reasons though.

I've asked the wider team internally whether it's something we'd be able to offer for this season ... although with it starting in 5 days, it might be a bit late.

On the TV contract question - although you're tied into a 24 month contract, it's only on the minimum package.  You could add the Sport package for as long as you need it and then drop down to the minimum (£12/month) when off season.

Message 10 of 12

Lets go Kansas City Royals!! 

0 Ratings