cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

What speed do I need for BT sport ultimate?

Some threads I've read say 44mbps.

My question is what does this relate to? Is it the average speed I'm getting or a minimum guaranteed speed etc & how can I check this?

I've upgraded my package which now includes bt sport ultimate but concerned I might not actually be able to get the channel. Do BT let you order if you can't actually get it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: What speed do I need for BT sport ultimate?

@murphy83wrote:

Some threads I've read say 44mbps.

My question is what does this relate to? Is it the average speed I'm getting or a minimum guaranteed speed etc & how can I check this?

I've upgraded my package which now includes bt sport ultimate but concerned I might not actually be able to get the channel. Do BT let you order if you can't actually get it?

Thanks

Good evening

What threads where? Surely not on this forum.

Have a gander at the correct BT page:

https://www.bt.com/sport/bt-sport-ultimate 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

It says 25mbps on that link but I'm not entirely sure that relates to BT sport ultimate through the BT TV box (like i say there is conflicting info on various threads, not sure what your comments 'surely not on this forum' mean?) & it also doesn't specify what the speed relates to as per my original question.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

With BT TV the 44MB refers to the minimum guaranteed speed your line can handle (not the speed you might receive which could be higher). You will find it by entering your phone number here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

From the help pages:

ultimate.PNG

For example, my line constantly syncs at 47MB but if I use that checker my minimum guaranteed speed is 35MB, so I am unable to watch BT Sport Ultimate through the BT YouView box.

My understanding has always been (as I have certainly tried!), you cannot order TV with Ultimate if your minimum speed falls below 44MB.

If you have been allowed to order it then your line should meet the threshold. The threshold is so that you don't cripple your connection for the whole house by watching BT Sport Ultimate as it uses a significant chunk of bandwidth. 

If you don't meet the threshold (like me), you can still have the "max package" (Entertainment Extra now, 'Max HD' back in my day), and get access to BT Sport Ultimate via the likes of an Apple TV, Xbox One or Chromecast for example. The Xbox One feed includes HDR which the current YouView box can't even deliver, but not everyone likes the darker picture.

Interestingly, there isn't a speed limit as such for you to watch Ultimate through the app, just minimum recommended speeds:

• Mobiles and tablets: 2.5 Mbps (6 Mbps recommended)
  • Smart TVs and consoles: 6 Mbps
  • Streaming in 4K without HDR: 25 Mbps
  • Streaming in 4K HDR: 30 Mbps

So, to watch it on channel 433 on a BT TV box you need a minimum of 44MB guaranteed and they shouldn't be able to sell it to you without that.

If you can't hit the 44MB guarantee (plenty don't but their line speed still actually exceeds that), you can still have the top package but will need to access BT Sport Ultimate via the big screen app on a device listed here: https://www.bt.com/sport/bt-sport-ultimate 

And this being BT, all of the above can change at any time and without anyone knowing, including those that work for BT! 😂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your very helpful response 👍

What should I be looking at on the speed checker link for my minimum guaranteed speed?

Is the minimum guaranteed speed you refer to the same as the 'stay fast guaranteed speed' I've been quoted, which worryingly is only 41mbps?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

It is the downstream line rate low column that is the magic number, here is mine:

93AAEA85-B0A0-46F0-95C5-04C4DC9843D4.jpeg

So although I get a steady 47MB the 34.9 figure stops me from being able to order BT Sport Ultimate through the BT TV box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Ah I see, I'm in the 50s for that so all good, thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

I believe it is actually the low clean they use that has to be 44Mbps (I know this doesn’t help many but one or two could).

still a ridiculous measure (I am in the same boat).

check my observed speed. Surely that would be a better measure 😞

842EF8EA-370F-4520-A1C4-884745AC4973.jpeg