Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steshaw74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Where has my sports package gone?

Hi all,

I'm a little confused and hope someone could shed some light on my dilemma.....

On Thurs 13/6 I noticed I no longer had Sky Sports 1&2 and ESPN.  I had a viewing card error.

I called the helpdesk who informed me that due to the switchover to sports via broadband, my viewing card was no longer valid.  I was told my account didn't indicate I had Infinity.  I *do* have Infinity, so the helpdesk updated my account and informed me that it would take an hour for it to register and that I should call back to get SS1&2 and ESPN back up and running.

I called back today (Sat 15/6) to be told that my subscription to SS1&2 and ESPN had been switched off (and that I wasn't being charged).  And then told I could get them back immediately by re-subscribing or wait until "BT Sport" launches in Oct and get the BT sport channels and ESPN for free.

Is it correct that my old sports subscription should be cancelled and that I need to re-subscribe if I want to receive SS1&2 and ESPN straight away???  I don't recall being forwarned of the cancellation and need to re-subscribe?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Where has my sports package gone?

BT's Indian call centre people really don't have the knowledge or authority to fix problems with fouled up accounts.

The easiest solution - for them - is usually to cancel and then place the order again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

The problem seems to be that BT are failing to ensure that the viewing cards remain subscribed -- so that when the date for your current viewing card subscription is reached it simply expires and becomes unpaired from your box (you can check the date on the Help &Settings > card Information page). This appears to be occuring irrespective of the account status of the subscriber. The support centre (India) are perfectly capable of renabling/repairing the card on your box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@steshaw74 wrote:
I called back today (Sat 15/6) to be told that my subscription to SS1&2 and ESPN had been switched off (and that I wasn't being charged).  And then told I could get them back immediately by re-subscribing or wait until "BT Sport" launches in Oct and get the BT sport channels and ESPN for free.

Is it correct that my old sports subscription should be cancelled and that I need to re-subscribe if I want to receive SS1&2 and ESPN straight away???  I don't recall being forwarned of the cancellation and need to re-subscribe?

You should have received a letter about the changes to the way Sky Sports and ESPN were being delivered. BT have been sending out letters to affected customers over the last few months informing them of what is changing and what their particular options are. Did you not receive a letter (or even an email)?

0 Ratings
steshaw74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi Umpire,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I've received mail but don't remember the finer details.  I remember that I had to call BT so they could check whether my hub was connected to the Vision box via ethernet or Powerline.

But I don't remember the mail saying my subscription would be SWITCHED OFF and that I would have to re-subscribe.

I can't imagine that being the process that BT would work to.  Imagine the loss of revenue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

I would have thought that the gist of the mail would have been that they are moving your Sky Sports and ESPN delivery to multicast via Infinity. That is why they will have asked you if you are using powerline adapters as BT don't support multicast channels using them.

If they had moved you onto the multicast software by now you should no longer be concerned about viewing cards and them turning off the over the air sports broadcasts. I don't see any reason why they should cancel the sports channels for your account. Surely they should have just given your account the equivalent entitlement for the multicast versions and moved you on to the multicast software? Once running that the viewing card is redundant. 

0 Ratings