cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
topleya
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Why is BT Sport so difficult to access and pay for?

Why is BT Sport so difficult to access and pay for?

My situtation is that I love football and I want to pay for football and not resort to piracy. I'm part of the cable cutting generation and I'm getting rid of TV packages in favour of digital streaming services.

I currently have BT Broadband, Phone and TV with Sport and paying just short of £80 per month (£960 per year). I don't use the TV packager except for BT Sport or the Landline as I have a mobile phone (not even plugged in).

I'm paying for services I don't need or want and I'm moving to EE Broadband to get the same (67mbps) fibre connection for less with no forced landline service.

The problem I'm facing is losing convenient BT Sport access. With Sky Sports, I pay for NowTV and get easy access via Apple TV and my iPad, no commitment to Sky and no being forced to buy their broadband or tv service.

As far as I can tell, the only (legal) option to access BT Sport via an Apple TV app is to have BT Broadband with a landline I don't want or need.

So my question, Why is BT Sport so difficult to access and pay for?

Before someone replies with "get the mobile app and cast it to your screen" - NO, if I wanted to cast from a mobile device, then I'll find alternative and free sources for this stream. I want easy access like Sky Sports, that I am paying for legally that isn't via a casting method, without being forced to pay for BT Services that are no longer competitively priced.

(I also hope my assumptions are completely wrong, but the BT Website just sends me in circles trying to obtain prices and options for just paying for a BT Sport ONLY subscription to allow me to watch BT Sport via the native Apple TV App. If this is possible, then brilliant, please direct me to the options for this)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why is BT Sport so difficult to access and pay for?

Without BT Broadband you can only get BT Sport with a third party TV servce (Sky or Talktalk). Have a look here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I know this, which is my frustration.
BT are making it impossible to view BT Sport legally without a TV Package. I don't want to pay £20 per month for a TV Package when I don't watch TV, I just want access to BT Sport.

They already have an Apple TV app but only usable by BT Broadband customers.

Sky on the other hand have Sky Sports for customer who have no interest in TV. NOWTV Sport Package.

BT have made it impossible to access BT Sport without paying for services some don't need or want.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

It's a question of business models, which tend to adapt only to profit opportunities or legislation. Public service is a minor element in commercial competition, even within former public utilities which have been privatised.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@topleyawrote:

As far as I can tell, the only (legal) option to access BT Sport via an Apple TV app is to have BT Broadband with a landline I don't want or need.)

Without a landline you won't be getting fast fibre broadband from anyone.  Or are you saying you are happy to rely totally on internet access over your mobile phone connection?

0 Ratings