cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Why is BT Sport so frustrating?

So I allowed half an hour before the Man U. match started to try to get BT Sport working in a web browser. Firefox asks me to sign in. I do so, click on Watch Now. It takes me to the MyBT logon page. So I do and it takes me to the BT Sport page. I click on Watch Now. It takes me to the MyBT logon page. Next browser please....

Opera: I do the MyBT/BT Sport logon dance three times, am about to give up when it begins to whir, so I wait hopefully. It tells me I need to install Silverlight (already have but it might be a new version). So I download it, install and it tells me I'm already installed at the current version. Next  browser please ....

Internet Explorer: See Opera above. Next  browser please ....

Chrome: Does the dual logon dance, then asks for Silverlight. On a whim, I uninstall Silverlight completely, fire up Chrome and it makes me logon on to both sites twice until finally showing the match!! Sadly the first half has just finished and I've missed the action to that point (no spoilers).

So thanks BT for, once again, as in every time I've tried to watch BT Sport so far, turned it into a most annoying and frustrating experience.

Please take a look a services like Netflix and how they handle far more bandwidth far more smoothly. You could at least have a dedicated Windows/Mac application for watching instead of this absolutely appalling web-trash that you use.

If you can't, then please give it up, let Sky or someone take it over so that we can at least watch a full game without pulling out our hair.

11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why is BT Sport so frustrating?

My experience is not as bad but it certainly indicates problems with BT Sport online. I stream both BTS and Sky Sports from the internet. Whilst I can usually get on BTS well before half-time, it regularly requires multiple attempts to get past the final spinning wheel; no such problem with Sky Go, which connects first time without fail. Given that the services use the same software with the same settings on the same computer with the same browser and the same broadband connection, I can only deduce that it's an issue with BTS.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
brrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Because they apparently don't care about the online/streaming service being any good, despite iPlayer, catch-up etc. being almost standard for most other companies.

0 Ratings
Ivan-Idea
Message 4 of 12

I have several gripes. 😞

I had the same problems getting a browser to work with the video stream. 😞

How come, now that I am paying a subscription I still have to suffer an avalanche of adverts?  I am sure the page loading is timed to load adverts first, pause, then load content. 😞

My interest is MotoGP but having selected that tab I constantly get football related content. BT needs to provide content based on the categories selected. 😞 

I am serioulsy thinking of cancelling BT Sport and subscribing to the video service on MotoGP.com.

BT need to up their game as the service they provide is currently dreadful. 😞

ihewer
Message 5 of 12

I also find BT sport online immensely frustrating.

Why can't people with the "online only" service who have a BT vision TV box watch BT sport via the BT app on the BT vision box? Why do I have to plug a laptop into my TV and wrestle with a dysfunctional login service, adverts, browser incompatibilities and plugins?

The android app is worthless. I get terrible streaming quality despite a very modern handset with highest speed wi-fi, 4G and 2GB RAM, so I must use a laptop.

I can only watch MotoGP, because there is a catch-up service (usually with spoilers on the "spoiler free" page, if I can avoid the spoilers dotted about the BT webpages). I am a carer so there is no guarantee I can watch a race live.  The first race of the season took 8 DAYS to be put online, subsequent races have been quicker, but seldom on the same day. If your online service is a PAID FOR service, races ought to be online within a couple of hours.

I have all the issues people describe here:

The double login problem. The BT sport login page never works first time. Often the login widget "LOGIN" button is unresponsive unless I reload the page a few times (which takes ages because of adverts). Perhaps it can't handle the demand...

As Ivan-Idea states, there is a the "avalanche of adverts" on a paid service, on a page which loads adverts first (takes approx 30secs for me). Remember BT: The people using this service are probably the people who DON'T have access to fibre, so all the bloated adverts you add kill our page load times.

I would watch UFC if I could use a catch up service. I haven't found one yet. As I only have an online only service I can't record ANYTHING so I can only catch up on moto-gp.

I am not interested in Football, but everyone's fees were bumped by £5 this month for an already apalling service, so that BT could add more football. I was already hugely disatisfied by the BT Sport service, a price increase is a bitter pill.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Must admit I can't understand why there isn't a BT Sport app on the Youview box for those unable to use the multicast stream. Surely this would be a better alternative?????

m0dcm
Message 7 of 12

And now BT have screwed us once again! Customers like myself who have paid £5 for the service can no longer watch MLB live as since they've changed from Silverlight to a new streaming service all we get is hours of a banner stating "This programme is not currently available to watch on this device!"

This is BT doing their underhanded tricks once more, trying to get customers over to BT TV, well I am now thinking of cancelling BT Sports altogether. I cancelled BT TV because of a similar stunt just over 12 months ago, I wonder who else is in the same boat?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

You've posted the same thing on three separate threads and have an explanation on the other two. Multi-posting doesn't get you anywhere but into confusion.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
carlagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Hi OP here.

There still seems to be a lot of frustrated BT Sport users out there. I've tried various ways since my original post, all with the objective of removing the web page interface that seems to cause so many people problems.

Last season I installed an Android emulator on my PC, installed the BT Sports app onto that and that worked. However it was a little complex to setup and a bit flaky, I wouldn't recommend it unless you like to mess around with such stuff.

I got an Apple TV (version 3) earlier this year and cast my iPad via Airplay to it. This streams the BT Sports app but it doesn't fill the screen, you have a lot of black around it, unlike the BBC iPlayer app which streams to the Apple TV in full screen without a problem. Also it exludes Android users.

Couple of weeks ago I about a Chromecast on a whim, as it was on sale at £25 instead of £30. The BT app streams to this in full screen with no problems, which astonished me but was a very pleasant surprise. I can stream BT Sport to it from my Android tablet as well as my iPad and iPhone and, of course, stream films and pictures and so on, it's a nice little gadget.

So I'd recommend anyone struggling to watch BT Sport to get a Chromecast if they can afford one and have an iOS or Android device, works great. You might want to wait till the end of September, as I believe Google are bringing out the Chromecast 2 at that time.

Happy viewing.

0 Ratings
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Another vote for a BT Sport App on the Youview box and Smart TVs please, even if just for catch up/replay/highlights shows.

I can also vouch for Chromecast. It works brilliantly streaming from BT Sport App on my Samsung S5 (android)
0 Ratings