cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siteguru
Expert
Message 1 of 8

Workaround for Chrome, Silverlight and BT Sports

I posted this in another thread as a reply, but felt it needed it's own thread. There's a workaround to get BT Sports working in the Chrome browser:

In the adddress bar type in chrome://flags and press Enter

Search the page for the NPAPI plugin

Click Enable

Click Relaunch Now to close and reopen the browser

Go to BT Sports and you'll now be able to watch it via Chrome. Smiley Happy (I know it works - I've just done it).

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Workaround for Chrome, Silverlight and BT Sports

As mentioned in another thread, that's a temporary facility. If you want Chrome as your default browser it's easy enough to switch to an alternative for Silverlight. Windows users will have ready access to Internet Explorer, which I use solely for BT Sport and Sky Go because of minor issues with Silverlight and my default browser, Firefox.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Perhaps so. But if people are using Chrome then at least it'll allow them to continue to do so until that time.

They can also turn off the Google updater before that time and it should continue to work. Smiley Wink

And maybe BT can invest some time in making their player not depend on Silverlight ... even MS will be withdrawing it at some point.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let people have the required info and make up their own minds what to do. Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

@siteguru wrote:

Perhaps so. But if people are using Chrome then at least it'll allow them to continue to do so until that time. Yes, but probably best that they know that it's only going to last until September.

They can also turn off the Google updater before that time and it should continue to work. Smiley Wink They wouldn't have realised that, but would they want to stick with an outdated version of Chrome just to avoid switching to another browser now and then?

And maybe BT can invest some time in making their player not depend on Silverlight ... even MS will be withdrawing it at some point. Then we'd all be happier, as would Sky customers.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let people have the required info and make up their own minds what to do. Smiley Happy Me too, but I try make sure that it's all the required info.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
jrikirk
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

BT Sport Web Page

-----------------------

Thanks for your post. The NPAPi enable on Chrome 42.0.12311.90 m did not work for me. (Silverlight 5.1.30514.9)  23/4/15

Found this good news many hours ago..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/14/google_java_chrome_42/

BT Sport is fine on Chromecast and Youview+ box

and this customer would like BT to talk to Microsoft and post a reply?

0 Ratings
Saeran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

This work around no longer works with the latest version of Chrome, see my post in https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/Silverlight-Issues/td-p/945404/page/3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TractorGirl327
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Doesn't work now and since upgrading to Windows 10 I've not even got IE anymore and BT sport doesn't work on Microsoft Edge either

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TractorGirl327

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

It's been discussed in a number of recent posts on this forum that Edge, the new browser with Windows10, doesn't support Silverlight. However, Windows10 includes access to Internet Explorer or you could download Firefox, regarded by many as a better browser than IE anyway. I'm watching ManU v Spurs with Firefox as I type.

--
0 Ratings