cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Des123
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

order BT Sport, but lose existing recordings, and go from wireless to wired?

I was in the process of ordering the new BT Sport package (for free). During the order process, it says that if you have a powerpack (white plug), you have to change it to ethernet cables, and that the BT Vision box is automatically upgraded in 8 days time, and you have to watch all your existing recording as they'll be wiped by the upgrade process.

This means that the existing wireless system has to be changed to cable, and that all our existing recordings (music programmes from BBC4 that I'd want to keep long-term) are wiped out. As I have my BT Hub in an upstairs office, and the BT Vision box downstairs in the living room, it is not exactly a system I'd want to change over, if it meant wires across different floors and rooms (Wireless works so well for me in my current set-up).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the existing wireless system and our existing recordings, and still get BT Sport package?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: order BT Sport, but lose existing recordings, and go from wireless to wired?

If you need upgraded to the new OS then there is no way to keep old recordings on the box. You can archive them the scart socket a DVD recorder.
Depends on your speed at your Powerline adapters whether or not you can escape the wired option (the only one they support). My set up works just fine with just the adapters. Plug a laptop or computer directly into the Powerline adapter and run a speed test. If it is let's say above 20mb you should be ok.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Des123
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: order BT Sport, but lose existing recordings, and go from wireless to wired?

I don't 'need' an upgrade, as the system works perfectly well as it is. it seems that in order to get BT Sport, the system will automatically upgrade as part of the package purchase.

I did a speedtest as you suggested and the download speed is 46.65Mbps, and the uplaod speed is 16.12Mbps.

What I don't want to do is have to convert to cables when wireless works perfectly for our set-up. Losing the existing recordings is also a concern.

I wonder if it's possible just to get the new App and watch any programs on an iPad?

Thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

To get the new channels you have to be on the new software. It may well work fine now, but you are getting a new package with new channels and features. This requires an upgrade.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

I take it you have the old software with the menus along the top?

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Des123
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Yes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Then you have to have a new operating system installed.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

You can choose to ignore BT's advice to hard-wire the connection between the Home Hub and the BT Vision box.  Provided that your wireless link is fast enough, it should still work.  If it's not fast enough, then it won't work.

The old BT Vision software can't handle multicast streaming video.  It's now obsolete, and will not be upgraded.  Any new services are only offered on the new software platform.

0 Ratings