Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Sport and Sky Multiroom - farcical

the first day btsports was free to air hence why you received it on all boxes. it was encrypted on 2/8 hence why only the designated box receives it now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Jusdt found this forum. I had no information that BT Sports did not support multi-room, so when it failed on my Sky box, I immediately phoned BT. After 40 minutes got through, and explained the issue (confirming that it worked on the main box) I was told that I would be transferred to Engineering, during which process I got cut-off!!! No mention of lack of multi-room support during the conversation I had with BT.

Issue is complicated by the fact that I recently had BT Infinity installed, and the BT Engineer unplugged the telephone connection to my multi-room box saying it was causing a problem on the land-line telephone, and it was unnecessary anyway! So when BT Sports failed on the second day I immediately thought that it was the lack of a telephone connection that was causing it. I have spent a few hours now fitting a new extension telephone cable, which is not interfering with the telephone line, and a Sky System Check reports that the telephone is connected, but still no BT Sports.

This is very bad marketing by BT and could cause people to give up on them. I feel that I could argue that I could break my contract with them as they have not delivered what was promised.

Just hope that BT read all these comments and act upon them.

Guru

How has BT not delivered what it promised.
BT Sport free with broadband. You have broadband you have BT Sports.
Aspiring Contributor

If we want to get all legalistic, then you are right. I can find no mention of multiroom in their documentation. However, I expected (as did a great many others) that BT Sports would operate like all other grown-up operators, and function normally on all platforms covered by a Sky subscription.

(Interestingly, if you do a spell check on multiroom in this forum, you will find that multiroom is not in the BT dictionary!)

Expert

Hywel47 wrote:

If we want to get all legalistic, then you are right. I can find no mention of multiroom in their documentation. However, I expected (as did a great many others) that BT Sports would operate like all other grown-up operators, and function normally on all platforms covered by a Sky subscription.

(Interestingly, if you do a spell check on multiroom in this forum, you will find that multiroom is not in the BT dictionary!)

It was YOU who was being "all legalistic" with talk of broken contracts. Your BT sports isn't covered by a Sky subscription, it's covered by your payments to BT either for the channel or for broadband, and BT dont sell multiroom subscriptions.

They do however allow you to watch on PCs/Macs and tablets at no additional cost. 

Contributor

MartinH wrote:

...and BT don't sell multiroom subscriptions.

But the debate here is why BT aren't offering multiroom - on the face of it, it is commercial suicide (Sky claim to have 1.5M multiroom customers).

In the absence of any explanation from BT, the most plausible is that BT overlooked it in initial planning, and it is taking some time to retro-fit the billing/authorisation systems.

IMHO, it would have been much better PR to have offered free or discounted multiroom subscriptions (once they had checked requests were genuine on the Sky database) until they have the back-office systems in place. 

We eventually managed to persuade BT to take £13 pm of our hard-earned pension for a stand-alone extra subscription in order to simulate 'multiroom' - but it would have left a less unpleasant taste in the mouth if it had been volunteered at some sort of discount in recognition of it being an additional box at the same premises.

The whole experience has completely dissipated the initial excitement at the thought of being able to put two fingers up to Sky after suffering years of their sharp practice marketing.

Guru

BT do not have access to the Sky Multiroom service as they are selling BT Sports on a wholesale basis, so until such a deal is done it will be one broadband one free BT Sport.

I do agree with you though, if you are paying for an additional BT Sport package then the price should be discounted.
Contributor

StewM wrote:
BT do not have access to the Sky Multiroom service ...

But they do have access on a per viewing card basis to lookup the registered address of the card (presumably to make sure that the 'free' service is actually being provided to a genuine BT customer, and not being ordered on behalf of a non-BT friend.)

I also know from experience that they have the ability to do the same for secondary viewing cards - that was what caused weeks of confusion when trying order a paid-for subscription for a box that they could see was at the same address where we already had a free subscription!

My point was that even without the on-going systems in place for ensuring that a 'multiroom' box stays where it was originally registered, having initially established that the additional box was genuine multiroom then the number of such cases of deliberate fraud would be sufficiently small (and in most cases covered anyway by Sky's own on-going multiroom security checks) that BT could should have carried the risk until they had their own systems in place. Whatever they might lose in revenue would have been more than made up by good PR.

Aspiring Contributor

but other wholesalers like Premier Sports offer multi-room for £1 a box, so they must have some access.
Expert

[ Edited ]

catterbutts wrote:

MartinH wrote:

...and BT don't sell multiroom subscriptions.

But the debate here is why BT aren't offering multiroom - on the face of it, it is commercial suicide (Sky claim to have 1.5M multiroom customers).

In the absence of any explanation from BT, the most plausible is that BT overlooked it in initial planning, and it is taking some time to retro-fit the billing/authorisation systems.

IMHO, it would have been much better PR to have offered free or discounted multiroom subscriptions (once they had checked requests were genuine on the Sky database) until they have the back-office systems in place. 

We eventually managed to persuade BT to take £13 pm of our hard-earned pension for a stand-alone extra subscription in order to simulate 'multiroom' - but it would have left a less unpleasant taste in the mouth if it had been volunteered at some sort of discount in recognition of it being an additional box at the same premises.

The whole experience has completely dissipated the initial excitement at the thought of being able to put two fingers up to Sky after suffering years of their sharp practice marketing.

There is no debate. You have a QUESTION of why they don't. That's not a debate. 

Sky, based on your figure, has 1.5m multiroom subscriptions out of 10.5m customers. Hardly sounds like most people are clamouring for it.

You could have watched on a second TV for free by attatching a laptop or smartphone to your TV and using the very good streaming service. You chose to pay another subscription. That's your choice but you can hardly blame BT for the "unpleasant taste" you have a result of your own decision.