Contributor
ggmcintosh

BT sport sign up

Hi. I may be a bit dim...I have a brand new BT vision box (2 months) with the new extra channels on it. Do I still have to sign up for the sports? I know there's info out there telling how to sign up but I've not seen anything about if you already have the latest set up. It just says "you've got all you need". But nothing about doing nothing or still signing.
Help a thick person please!
Expert
skappy70

Re: BT sport sign up

Not a dim question, myself like many others is in the same boat as you, your best bet is simply to sign up. I did last week but as the service doesn't come live until 1st August, i probably won't hear anything for a few weeks.

Expert
DonDino

I had the same question in another thread, the (predictable) answer is that nobody really knows, but yes, as the previous poster says, best to sign up.

I signed up using the online system, and I've already got a confirmation email for the order, saying I'll get BT Sport 1 & 2 and ESPN from the 1st August, with HD for a year etc. Mind you I already have the BT Sport SD and HD channels on the Vision box, they are showing video previews all day long and they work just fine. I'm guessing all BT have to do on the 1st August is simply turn them off for people who haven't signed up.

Guru
stuartrogerson

I tried to get a definitive answer on this and failed. I signed up online and got the confirmation email.
Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Contributor
ggmcintosh

Cheers guys. I'll just sign up as suggested.
chrisdp

Hi. Do you know if you started a new 12 month contract when you signed up? It talks about that if you want access by Sky, but not sure if you only want access in a BT only world? I don't want to start a new 12 month contract when I only have 6 mons to run n the current one. Thanks.
Aspiring Expert
Colin_London

Chrisdp,

One of the purposes of BT Sport is to retain customers. So to get the channels you must renew for at least 12 months (and sign up for auto renewal).

You have a straight choice - commit to BT and get the new channels, or leave yourself free for your current contract to expire, but don't get the channels. This is how BT intend it to work.
Expert
zulu17

Colin_London wrote:
Chrisdp,

One of the purposes of BT Sport is to retain customers. So to get the channels you must renew for at least 12 months (and sign up for auto renewal).

You have a straight choice - commit to BT and get the new channels, or leave yourself free for your current contract to expire, but don't get the channels. This is how BT intend it to work.

I thought Ofcom had effectively outlawed auto renewal contracts.

As of 31 December 2011, rollover contracts will be banned, Ofcom confirmed

BT, AdEPT Telecom, Axis Telecom, eZe Talk, italk telecom, TalkTalk Business, Titan Telecom, Optimum Calls and others have been ordered to completely remove ARCs from the market by 31 December 2012.

Contributor
cooperman

I read that too but it may only relate to telephone contracts not TV.
Guru
stuartrogerson

There is no question of automatic renewal. What it actually says is that in order to keep viewing you need to keep BT Broadband
Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits