Reply
Contributor
xBenHx
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎20-04-2012
0

Cancelling BT Sport

I recently ordered BT Sport on the Sky Platform and now feel I was very mislead by the false 'free' advertising. I signed up for BT Sport not having a clue it would extend my contract and now fear that I cannot revert this by cancelling my BT Sport subscription. I wouldn't have been so annoyed if I was offered a BT Hub 4 with my covered up contract renewal and maybe I would want to stay with BT for another year. I would really appreciate it if I could cancel by BT sport subscription and revert to my old contract end date, which was the 12th of May. I have read through different forum posts and can see that other people feel that they have been mislead. If any forum mods could help me with this (as they have before) I would greatly appreciate it. 

 

Contributor
xBenHx
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎20-04-2012
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

It's also worth a mention that I used the mobile site, and I do not recall it ever mentioning a 12 month contract extension...
Expert
MartinH
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎27-01-2010
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport


xBenHx wrote:

I recently ordered BT Sport on the Sky Platform and now feel I was very mislead by the false 'free' advertising. I signed up for BT Sport not having a clue it would extend my contract and now fear that I cannot revert this by cancelling my BT Sport subscription. I wouldn't have been so annoyed if I was offered a BT Hub 4 with my covered up contract renewal and maybe I would want to stay with BT for another year. I would really appreciate it if I could cancel by BT sport subscription and revert to my old contract end date, which was the 12th of May. I have read through different forum posts and can see that other people feel that they have been mislead. If any forum mods could help me with this (as they have before) I would greatly appreciate it. 

 


1) How were you misled? It's stated on every advert that you need to have a year's minimum term left on your contract

 

2) How long was the new contract you entered into? Most likely 12 months, in which case your new contract end date is 1 month after the one you had before (JUne 2014 instead of May 2014).

 

3) Next time make sure you do your research before signing up for new products and services. 

Contributor
xBenHx
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎20-04-2012
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

Misled by the big 'FREE' in every advert 

12 Months

And I shall...

Contributor
xBenHx
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎20-04-2012
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

I realise I should have researched more thoroughly, the main thing I want to get out of this is the cancellation of BT sport, the way I see it, if I'm not receiving a service that I have renewed my contract for, my contract extension should be rendered void. But I'm sure that's easier said than done.
Expert
MartinH
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎27-01-2010
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

[ Edited ]

xBenHx wrote:

Misled by the big 'FREE' in every advert 

12 Months

And I shall...


It is free, you're paying no more for your broadband and you're getting three sports channels included whch you didn't get before. That is free.

 

If your contract end date was May 12th 2014 then the latest a new 12 month contract could extend you to is 9th June 2014, assuming you signed up today. Either way, you're complaining about less than a month. Is it really worth stressing over? 

Sage
imjolly
Posts: 37,855
Registered: ‎27-01-2010
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

But it is free if you meet the conditions which are there on all the adverts - you obviously missed them
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
xBenHx
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎20-04-2012
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

I know what you guys are saying, I'll call BT tomorrow and see what I can do.
Aspiring Expert
Bob1001
Posts: 317
Registered: ‎20-05-2010
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

What is not clear from any of the adverts is what happens after the 12 months.

I am out of contract an phoned up to recontract to get the HH4, all was going OK until the sales person said quite correctly that I would also get BT Sport free. I don't care about BT Sport but it was free, but I asked what happens at the end of the 12 months.

He said that it would be included in my package which would go up in price (he thought it was about £3 pm). I asked if I could cancel Sport at the end of the contract so I did not get a price increase, he did not think I could.

I then asked to recontract without BT Sport and he said it could not be done.

I am confused has anyone any information or views.

Expert
MartinH
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎27-01-2010
0

Re: Cancelling BT Sport

[ Edited ]

Bob1001 wrote:

What is not clear from any of the adverts is what happens after the 12 months.

I am out of contract an phoned up to recontract to get the HH4, all was going OK until the sales person said quite correctly that I would also get BT Sport free. I don't care about BT Sport but it was free, but I asked what happens at the end of the 12 months.

He said that it would be included in my package which would go up in price (he thought it was about £3 pm). I asked if I could cancel Sport at the end of the contract so I did not get a price increase, he did not think I could.

I then asked to recontract without BT Sport and he said it could not be done.

I am confused has anyone any information or views.


It's entirely clear, the ads and BT website state that ongoing renewal is required to keep getting the channels for free. The £3 increase would relat to the HD versions - if you register before 1st August you get the HD versions for free for 12 months. If you sign up later it's £3per month for the HD and presumably £3 to everyone after the initial 12 months. 

 

You will be free not to pay the £3 and there not get the HD version at the end of the 12 months.