Aspiring Contributor
Clover

Does BT Sport require use of a BT Home Hub?

I have Infinity 2 and BT Vision with Sky Sports. Now that I have signed up for BT Sport, does this mean I can no longer use my Netgear DGND3700v2 router instead of the awful Home Hub 3? The sports channels said there was no connection until I put the Home Hub 3 back.

That would be pretty annoying, BT Vision and sports were all working perfectly with the Netgear router before.

And to rub salt in the wound, because I signed up for BT Sports before June 1, I don't even get a Home Hub 4?

Guru
stuartrogerson

Re: Does BT Sport require use of a BT Home Hub?

Yes multicast appears to require HH3
Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Expert
DonDino

It does NOT require BT HomeHub. 

What it does require is ANY router that supports multicast. You should check whether your netgear supports it. 

I have a Draytek 2850 and multicast works absolutely fine with it, and I can see the new BT Sports channels (currently showing preview videos) as well.

Aspiring Contributor
Clover

Ok, thanks, the Netgear DGND3700v2 might not support multicast, I see a few people asking in that router's forum but no definitive replies coming back saying yes or no. I see no mention of multicast or IGMP in the router advanced setup pages.

Do you know if the ESPN and Sky Sports channels are multicast as well? When I have the HH3 in, the ESPN and Sky Sports are fine, but the four BT Sports channels all show "You have lost connection..."  The BT engineer I called on Saturday didn't really know how to help with that.

When the Netgear DGND3700v2 is in, I get "You have lost connection..." on ESPN and Sky Sports AND BT Sports.

I have a Trendnet 8-port gigabit switch in the loft between the router and the BT Vision box. Do you know if that also has to support multicast? Could this be causing me a problem?

Expert
DonDino

The switch only passes packets around, it doesn't have to do with multicast. I have a Netgear 8-port gigabit switch and works fine - any switch will do.

Not sure why BT Sports don't work with the HH, your 'entitlement' might be wrong, call BT and have them check your account, if you don't get anywhere contact the mods here.

It does sound like your Netgear router does not support multicast. 

Aspiring Expert
FearlessFred

Clover wrote:

Ok, thanks, the Netgear DGND3700v2 might not support multicast, I see a few people asking in that router's forum but no definitive replies coming back saying yes or no. I see no mention of multicast or IGMP in the router advanced setup pages.

Do you know if the ESPN and Sky Sports channels are multicast as well? When I have the HH3 in, the ESPN and Sky Sports are fine, but the four BT Sports channels all show "You have lost connection..."  The BT engineer I called on Saturday didn't really know how to help with that.

When the Netgear DGND3700v2 is in, I get "You have lost connection..." on ESPN and Sky Sports AND BT Sports.

I have a Trendnet 8-port gigabit switch in the loft between the router and the BT Vision box. Do you know if that also has to support multicast? Could this be causing me a problem?

Clover: One of your problems sounds like an issue I had after I ordered the BT Sports pack. I'm using the Home Hub and Infinity with BTVision+. I'm set for all the channels, and get ESPN & Sky Sports 1 & 2 through multicast. However, like you, I get the "You have lost connection..." message for all 4 BT Sports channels (see HERE for the htread I started, asking about it). I've tried Force Re-sync, re-boot & Force Re-sync, reboot Modem, HH, and BT Vision box and Force re-sync, but still no joy. I've emailed the mods to see if there is anything they can do about it, as the Help Desk isn't particularly helpful on this...

Aspiring Contributor
Clover

Hi FearlessFred

An update: My four BT Sports channels started working a couple of days ago, so I guess the "Coming soon..." content simply wasn't being sent on my exchange until then.

So I now get BT Sports, ESPN and Sky Sports 1&2 so long as I have the Home Hub 3 connected. If I put my Netgear router back, I get "you have lost your connection" on all the above channels. I will get a HH4 upgrade and use this as a permanent solution. At least it's got the two simultaneous wireless channels so not too much of a step down. I've bought a wifi printer to make up for the home hub's lack of print server support.

My gigabit switch between the HH3 and the BT Vision box appears not to cause any problems and is connected to the HH3's one and only gigabit port. I have a slight concern that the multicast content will get repeated to all devices connected to the gigabit switch, though, and needlessly swamp other users.

Aspiring Expert
FearlessFred

Hi Clover,

Yes, I had the same thing, with the BT Sports channels going "live" with the trailers yesterday. I must admit breathing a big sigh of relief! Glad to hear you're all sorted now. I haven't tried my old HH3, given that the HH4 is in situ and working.

I think you should be okay with the gigabit switch. That's what switches are for.....

Contributor
cooperman

Without knowing how you have set up your home network and exactly what you connect to it this may not be of any use. However here goes; there is nothing to stop you running a network from your HH to serve your BT Vision/Youview box and then connecting your original router/modem to the HH and setting that up to serve your other devices as you did originally. Indeed this can have some advantages especially for the situation where you want to run a parallel network with a print server if the HH won't allow this.
Aspiring Expert
Colin_London

One slight problem if you are a BT Infinity 3 FTTP customer - you'd have to attach your existing device to a 100Mbps port on the HH4 thus limiting the speed delivered to your other devices (there is only 1 x gigabit port which has to be used for the BTV / Youview box).