Contributor
Red_Snow

BT Sport on Youview ........ For some only?

I was looking at the section regarding how to get BT Sport on Youview and was left feeling quite uneasy when I read:

"BT Sport will be available on YouView this summer. YouView customers who have BT Infinity by 1 August will receive a software upgrade and automatically receive BT Sport this summer. To qualify for this, you need to have bought your YouView box directly from BT"

So, if you are one of the early adopters like myself who got a Youview box from the high street it looks as though BT Sport won't appear by magic. I wonder what BT's resolution to this will be?
Contributor
bobjob

Re: BT Sport on Youview ........ For some only?

[ Edited ]

Also if you dont have infinity and if like me its not going to happen anytime soon and you have got a BT Youview box then you wont be able to get BT sport either,thanks BT its nice to know you are looking after your customers many of them like me paying you £12.50 a month + broadband costs + phone and you are giving sky customers free sport.??

Mikeul

Hmm, seems I'm in this predicament also.  BT broadband, phone and youview, but I can't watch BT's new sports channel on my TV.  Infinity's not available in my area until October 2013 at the earliest (so probably add another 12 months to that) and it's not like I live in the middle of nowhere.  So basically to watch BT sport on my TV, I need to be a Sky TV customer.

Aspiring Expert
Colin_London

Why the heck do you have to have 'bought your Youview box direct from BT' to be able to get the software update to watch BT Sport?

I bought my Youview box when I wasn't with BT, but then switched to BT infinity, and am now signed up to BT Vision Player PAYG.

Now, I could perhaps understand if BT wanted me to renew my Infinity contract for at least 12 months to get the BT Sport channels. But technically there is no reason why my retail Humax can't accept the same software update as BT sourced Humax boxes - it already runs exactly the same software configuration as those BT sourced boxes to be able to 'see' the BT Vision Player.

Expert
MartinH

[ Edited ]

BT are being a bit naughty on this one, the boxes are identical and run the exact same software. We all know that.

I pay £10pm for the Vision Player, I also pay £26pm for Infinity yet because I didn't ask BT to subsidise my box for me and so effectivelysaved them money, I'm to be denied access to the "free" BT Sport channel unless I waste £49 on an "activation fee" for an identical box to the one I have.

Presumably if they "can't" provide the free sports channels to folk like us they won't be able to offer us the chance to pay them more for the linear PAY channels due to launch in a few weeks/months?  Why do I suspect that any obstacles will vanish when it comes to taking more cash? 

This is a massive own goal on BT's part that rubs the sheen off of an otherwise fantastic offer and, frankly, will make early YouView and Infinity adopters question whether they want to renew with BT down the line or look around for other options.

Expert
zulu17

Pure speculation -- but could it be that the Humax software will have an extra added to allow the Bt sport channnels which will be delivered in the box upgrades that Bt controls.  The retail boxes get the standard Humax Youview build and the "BT supplied" boxes get the equivalent  upgrade  a few weeks later. To date it has been  assumed the builds are identical but perhaps in the future there will be a BT variant which is only delivered to boxes they provide.

Expert
MartinH

zulu17 wrote:

Pure speculation -- but could it be that the Humax software will have an extra added to allow the Bt sport channnels which will be delivered in the box upgrades that Bt controls.  The retail boxes get the standard Humax Youview build and the "BT supplied" boxes get the equivalent  upgrade  a few weeks later. To date it has been  assumed the builds are identical but perhaps in the future there will be a BT variant which is only delivered to boxes they provide.

In which case BT should say so. 

Aspiring Expert
Colin_London

There is a separate BT configuration, but retail boxes install it as soon as they detect that the ISP is BT. In that respect BT and Retail boxes should be the same when connected to BT.

The delivery mechanism for IPTV live streaming should be in the Youview standard. If BT requires special QoS settings etc. you would have thought that could be held within the ISP specific configuration.

So I presently suspect this decision has more to do with BT strategists not understanding the need for a retail Youview BT Sport 'product' than any technical limitation. I suggest that any retail box owners who are BT customers may wish to make senior BT management aware of this 'omission' by writing in....
Expert
MartinH

Colin_London wrote:
There is a separate BT configuration, but retail boxes install it as soon as they detect that the ISP is BT. In that respect BT and Retail boxes should be the same when connected to BT.

The delivery mechanism for IPTV live streaming should be in the Youview standard. If BT requires special QoS settings etc. you would have thought that could be held within the ISP specific configuration.

So I presently suspect this decision has more to do with BT strategists not understanding the need for a retail Youview BT Sport 'product' than any technical limitation. I suggest that any retail box owners who are BT customers may wish to make senior BT management aware of this 'omission' by writing in....

I have emailed Marc Watson without response but I'm hopeful someone will sort this.

I actually have access to a BT supplied box but it wasn't supplied as part of a contract so it seems this too is unable to receive the channels which seem dependent on people actively registering for them and BT being unable to register you unless if knows the details of your box. 

All a bit f a mess IMO. 

Beginner
med2003

Agreed. This is a load of bullwhackers currently. I'm on BT Infinity 2 and I have a Humax YouView box I purchased myself, as I don't want to pay extra for BT TV, yet BT know I have a YouView box as I can see it lists it in my broadband usage chart, where it tells me how much of my usage I've taken up with YouView. So why aren't BT developing a "player" like iPlayer or NowTV for YouView that plays their BT Sport stuff if you haven't purchased your YouView box via BT, yet you have one of their "premium" broadband packages?