Beginner
ChrisR6262

BT Sports on CAM/Card (ex TUTV ESPN subscriber) not using Vision + box?

Hi all

I've had a fairly good look through all the boards & can't see this precise scenario covered. Please forgive me if its a bit samey to other posts, but here goes:

I'm a current TUTV subscriber to ESPN only (at £8.24 a month!), using my own trusty Humax 9300 Freeview+ box,  however this service comes to an end of 31st July. As luck has it I'm buying a new flat next week anyway so looking for a triple-play combo. BT and Virgin are both options, Sky (dish at least) isn't due to heritage & conservation issues in the area. BT Sports is a must-have for me as an effective replacement for ESPN through DTT (I watch a lot of Italian football), I couldn't care less about Sky Sports. Due to Virgin's lack of BT Sport therefore it would appear that BT is the only show in town. I also have no interest in additional channels or BT Vision player content (Netflix with Unblock US more than covers this off!) for an extra £7.50 or £12 per month or whatever.

The postcode search indicates that Infinity isn't an option at present (although my new flat is 250m from an Infinity-enabled exchange - Edinburgh Waverley. Based on experience would expect 18-20Mb through copper) but whatever BT option I choose I would like to be as future proof as possible. Doing a "mock-order" through the BT website forces me down the Youview route rather than Vision+  and there seems no way around this. Although I would actually prefer Youview (Freeview HD, Backwards EPG etc) to the Vision+ its clear, at least from BT "official" stance, that I will need the latter box for the CAM/Card slot to get BT Sports through DTT.

Thinking just a little outside the box (literally!), does anyone know from experience how flexible/creative BT would be in regards to the following:

1) If I take BT BB with Youview, would they still enable a CAM/card for BT Sport to be watched on my existing Humax 9300 or Sony TV (basically equivalent IMO to Sky subscribers with BT BB getting the channel for free) rather than swapping Youview for the Vision+ (both packages priced the same)?

2) For ease & speed, where applicable, will/can BT activate "old" TUTV cards after 1st August or are they likely to insist on sending new ones out?

My actual preference would be to take Infinity with Youview just now but as thats not available it seems silly to insist on me paying £110 over the year (£50 activation and £5 per month) for what amounts to nothing more than terrestrial catch-up services.

Many thanks

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: BT Sports on CAM/Card (ex TUTV ESPN subscriber) not using Vision + box?

Welcome to the forum. You'll be able to stream BT Sport to a computer from the internet and watch on a connected TV. I was going to cancel BTTV and do that when it looked as though I would lose Sky Sports, but it's had a reprieve. Might be an option for you though. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Beginner
ChrisR6262

Hi - many thanks for the welcome and the response

I know that if I take BT BB with phone then I will be given automatic access to the BT Sport App. Experience suggests however that this will be a less than satisfying experience when viewed through a 40" widescreen TV with buffering etc which my father (my main visitor & co-viewer of sports) will see as a total turn-off, he's quite old fashioned in his eyes sport is only worth watching if its on "proper" TV in the traditional sense (paradoxically he doesn't care less about HD!). Also getting the stream to the TV a bit fiddly to set-up whether its with a cable from a PC or other android device (MK802 mini-PC which I have).

So I accept that I will have to take a BT TV Box of some description and pay the £49 activation and £5 per month.

I guess my main point (although I didn't word it well previously!) - Sport aside I would much rather get the Youview box over Vision+ due to the fact it can give me Freeview HD now, and as I undertand it all the terrestrial catch-up services are fuller on Youview than Vision+. Having this would enable me to migrate seamlessly to Infinity (which I am keen on) and all the sports channels in HD the minute my street is enabled. Obviously however there is the issue for now that Youview doesn't have a CAM slot.

My quesion - If I take the Youview box, are BT likely to then show some common sense & grant me on request after 1st August a viewing card (or indeed activate my old TUTV card) to watch BT Sport in any other equipment of my choice (ie Humax 9300 or Sony Bravia TV) on the basis that they are getting an identical income from me anyway (as both BT TV packages are identically priced regardless of box), or are they (based on users past experiences) likely to stick to their script and insist I need to switch the Youview to a Vision+, because "the computer says no"?

Many thanks

Expert
StewM

The viewing card is paired to a Vision Box. So you cannot use it in another device.
Expert
MartinH

ChrisR6262 wrote:

My quesion - If I take the Youview box, are BT likely to then show some common sense & grant me on request after 1st August a viewing card (or indeed activate my old TUTV card) to watch BT Sport in any other equipment of my choice (ie Humax 9300 or Sony Bravia TV) on the basis that they are getting an identical income from me anyway (as both BT TV packages are identically priced regardless of box), or are they (based on users past experiences) likely to stick to their script and insist I need to switch the Youview to a Vision+, because "the computer says no"?

Many thanks

You will not be able to watch BT Sport via a CAM and Freeview box. You can watch only on a BT Vision box, YouView box or Sky+ HD box or via the BT app or website.

Beginner
ChrisR6262

Many thanks for the helpful responses, greatly appreciated.

Thats it confirmed then, it'll need to be a Vision+ box for me. I didn't realise that BT "paired" the card with their boxes but I suppose that makes sense (I know TUTV didn't do that for ESPN but Sky insisted on it when they took SS1&2)

Now all I need to do is find out how to circumnavigate the online ordering system to get Vision+ rather than Youview which is being pushed at me. Probably needs a phonecall I think....

Kind Regards

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Try Sales on 0800 783 0056. Best of luck.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.