Contributor
Slay

Re: BT to give free access to its sport channel

[ Edited ]

Duty281 wrote:

Thanks Slay. An incredible gutsy move as well, sounds too good to be true.

It is a brilliant move. I am very critical of BT Vision but this is a masterstroke. I am really rooting for BT to succeed now.

Look at Sky's reaction in one of today's articles:

"Those close to Sky also questioned whether sports governing bodies, which have spent years building up the value of their rights, will be happy to see BT using them as loss-leaders to woo customers."

Aw diddums. Dry your eyes, mate.

Aspiring Contributor
fletch

andy_247 wrote:
Fletch, that's only if you're in a Infinity enabled area. If not BT will give you a vision box and give you access to BT sports 1 & 2 via DTT

Thanks I'll try and find that on the BT site

Aspiring Contributor
fletch

edit just found it on this link
https://www.register.btsport.com/
Contributor
dnewitt1

I have just spoken to BT
I am on pay as you go and in a non infinity area,
I can order a card tomorrow for my vision box for a one of fee of £10 and will receive BT sport channels.
Contributor
Slay

Just looking at the deals on BT's website. They will be very tempting for people without BT broadband.

Unlimited broadband for £16 per month with 6 months free and a sainsburys £25 voucher and free BT sports channels (in HD for a year if sign up before 1st August).

What a deal. It really is free premium sport because most people have broadband in some form anyway.

Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

dnewitt1 wrote:
I have just spoken to BT
I am on pay as you go and in a non infinity area,
I can order a card tomorrow for my vision box for a one of fee of £10 and will receive BT sport channels.

How would you receive them? If you are not on Infinity then it would need to be via DTT. Currently DTT channel 34 is ESPN (registered to TopUpTV I believe) and channels 41 and 42 are Sky Sports 1 & 2 (registered to BT I believe).

So which channels would they use to transmit BT Sports 1 & 2 on before they turn off Sky Sport 1 & 2 on 41 and 42? Have they got two other slots lined up for a period of dual broadcasting? 

I'm assuming you are not talking about the satellite platform.

Anyway the BT Sport channels don't start broadcasting until Aug 1st. So yes, you can order the card tomorrow, but you won't have much to watch for the next couple of months (ESPN maybe). :smileyindifferent:

Aspiring Expert
andy_247

Hi Umpire - you're right, they will effectively be using the 2 of the 3 sports channels on freeview for their two channels.
Personally I think they'll use the ESPN slot and one of the sky slots (probably sky sports 2).
Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

andy_247 wrote:
Hi Umpire - you're right, they will effectively be using the 2 of the 3 sports channels on freeview for their two channels.
Personally I think they'll use the ESPN slot and one of the sky slots (probably sky sports 2).

They wiould need to give notice to the people currently receiving Sky Sports or ESPN over DTT who can't move to Infinity that any service would be ending by Aug 1st. As far as I know they have not sent out any letters to those customers yet. I assume they would have to give at least 30 days notice?  We will see soon enough.

Aspiring Expert
MJH62

I don't think they will use the ESPN slot, hence why that channel is going on-line for non Infinity customers. This is going to really screw Top-up TV, who will be left with a channel and nothing to show on it. Suspect they will hand it back to Channel 5 who are the ultimate owners.
Aspiring Expert
bazz02

What way does this work for exsisting BT Vision/Infinity customers.

Ive already got Espn channel.

Thx