Beginner
aliciajane04

Trying to cancel BT Sport in the cooling off period?

Hi All

First post here so please be gentle!!

My contract run out with BT Infinity so I called to see what kind of deal I could get. After discussions with BT and Sky I decided to go with Sky as they were a bit cheaper for better services. Called BT and asked for a MAC code. Was told this would arrive within 5 working days. After 2 weeks no MAC code so called BT again to be told that we'd just taken BT Sport out 3 days earlier and they wanted £180 to cancel!

Of course we denied this and said we had not ordered and that said they had a recording. Came off the phone and after a bit of digging found out that my 15 year old son had ordered BT Sport with my viewing card. He's not the account holder and is also a child but apparently he can order and it's legally binding, or that's what BT are trying to tell us?? After several calls it appears anyone that has access to your card and home number can order BT on your behalf, even a child, how can this be right?

I mailed BT 3 days later to cancel my order within the cooling period. The manager called me today to say it's all above board and cannot cancel without paying the fee. The cooling off period it 1 day from order email arriving, not 7 or 10 days like other companies.

So it looks like I'm stuck with BT for another year, at that point I will bin them and never use ever again and I'll make a point in giving them all the bad publicity I can muster in the remaining year.

Aspiring Expert
MJH62

Re: Trying to cancel BT Sport in the cooling off period?

And in the meantime, i trust you will admonish your 15 year old. BT is not totally at fault here.
Aspiring Expert
DaveBaines

Somebody under 16 cannot legally enter a contract. The contract is void. Bt are trying to enforce something that is unenforcable.

Aspiring Expert
Telboy62

[ Edited ]

He must also have access to your MY BT account and password to do this, if it was done online.

Sorry, but not a good idea for "children" to have access to this kind of information. They are much smarter when it comes to technology than we are.

Telboy.

Beginner
aliciajane04

15 year old is admonished yes certainly

He didn't need account number or password, all he needed was the viewing card number. We're very careful parents but BT are at it!!

Where do they draw the line, can a 10 year old order?

Aspiring Expert
Telboy62

[ Edited ]

How did he order a service on your account alicia? Phone or online?

Our account is in my wife's name and i have let her speak to them first to verify details, then pass the call to me.

This is very worrying, not to mention illegal, if they did not at least ask some data protection questions before processing an order on your account if it was done by phone.

Telboy.

Expert
MartinH

Come off it folks, you can't blame BT for this unless the taped call shows that BT knew the person placing the order was the ill disciplined child responsible for the OP's problems.

If their age doesn't come up it could as equally be the father placing the order, indeed the father may have placed the order and now be claiming in was a minor in order to allow him to change his mind.

If it really was the youth and BT hold the OP to the contract then the parents will need to make him pay the termination fee out of his pocket/birthday or Christmas money and hopefully teach him a lesson in personal responsibility. 

Beginner
aliciajane04

I can assure you it wasn't my husband, he was on the golf course when the call was made!! They have a recording of a male's voice, I'm a female!!

All I was highlighting was the fact of how easy it is to rder this with only a viewing card, no account number, no password? It's all over the advertising that it's free sport. A minor non account holder can order and it's legally binding!!

Make sure you hide your viewing card well..............oh no woops you cant it's in the front of your sky box, how easy eh??

Expert
MartinH

aliciajane04 wrote:

Make sure you hide your viewing card well..............oh no woops you cant it's in the front of your sky box, how easy eh??

No, make sure you bring your children up to know not to pull the sort of stunt your child apparently did.  You're his parent, the fault is yours and his, not BTs. Make him pay the cancellation fee. If he has no money deduct it from whatever you were going to spend on his birthday or Christmas present. 

Beginner
aliciajane04

No the fault is BT's they shouldn't accept orders from children that are not the account holder.

My child is a very well educated individual who's has never given a moments bother. This is a minor indiscretion.

Not sure I'm happy with you using the word "apparently"? Are you accusing me of being a liar? And also accusing us of being bad parents??

Very gentlemanly of you Martin, are always so negative of youth and parenting??