Aspiring Expert
JohnKelly

Re: BBC HD on iPlayer through Vision Box

If it's a new installation then it may be that something has not been set up properly. Sounds like it's new if BBC HD is there on the iPlayer. Get the MODs involved

Contributor
jackalcarlos76

Thanks. How do I get the MODs involved, please?
Guru
stuartrogerson

[ Edited ]
The HD option is only available on the new version you are using. The link to the Mods is below. Is Skype sitting there as an active app?
Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Contributor
jackalcarlos76

Thank you!
Guru
guilbo

For reference, a half hour HD programme is about 500MB, so you still have 400Meg unaccounted for even if iPlayer is causing the damage. You may want to make sure that the cache on your browser isn't being cleared on exit (provided you have the disk space to spare). All those little images - especially animated gifs seem innocent but can fairly add up if you keep having to download them.

Contributor
jackalcarlos76

Thanks. I had mentioned it was a couple of 30 min BBC HD programmes (or to be more accurate, 1 x 30 min and about 20/25 mins of an hour long programme), so that 20/25 mins could account for the majority of the rest??
Guru
guilbo

[ Edited ]

To be honest, I think that with the virus update, your 'phones and whatever else your computer system does in the background would put you over if it was accounting iPlayer as usage. From the account you give iPlayer would account for the entirity of the discrepancy and the rest used little or no data at all which is fairly hard to swallow.

Much of the data accessed by portable devices is in the cloud which is accessed silently and without your knowledge. Do you have any automatic backups happening? Anything going to BT digital vault is not taken from your allowance, but anything from your portable devices may. You could check that by looking at the upload figure on the usage meter.

Is there a mechanism on the phones themselves to show their data usage? I'm sure there must be an app for it.

If you have a look at the iPlayer website you can see how much space a programme uses by clicking on "download options". Don't forget to look at the HD version if you've been using that.

As an illustration: The One Show uses 561MB, The Apprentice uses 1.2GB and those are for the exact duration of the programme without the filler material.

Contributor
jackalcarlos76

Thanks. I think I'm just going to have a week or so of going through a process of elimination. 24hrs with wifi off to the mobile phones and laptop, then just to the laptop, then just to the mobile phones, etc, making a note of the alleged usage on the BT Usage Monitor each time.
Aspiring Expert
Cameron

stuartrogerson wrote:
The HD option is only available on the new version you are using. The link to the Mods is below. Is Skype sitting there as an active app?

How do you get this new version?

Expert
masona2

Cameron wrote:

stuartrogerson wrote:

How do you get this new version?

No one know's... it's all... a secret. And yes Shirley, I am being serious!

But... can anyone confirm, is this new Vision 2.0 Linux HD iPlayer any more stable than the SD Mediaroom one that we have now? 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.