Beginner
wake_up_bomb

BT Sport on Freeview

The new BT Sport channels have appeared on my Freeview recently. Does this mean that if you're an existing Infinity customer you will be able to access them for free? Will you have to phone BT up to activate them? Or are they for subscription purposes only?

Aspiring Expert
Marketman

Re: BT Sport on Freeview

BT Sport is available via broadband or sky and is not Freeview ( just uses freeview channel numbers ). You need to have a subscription to BT Vision and a Vision box to access them. If yo have a Vision box and subscription you need to call BT to activate BT Sports

Expert
jam2000

Marketman wrote:

BT Sport is available via broadband or sky and is not Freeview ( just uses freeview channel numbers ). You need to have a subscription to BT Vision and a Vision box to access them. If yo have a Vision box and subscription you need to call BT to activate BT Sports

The BT Sport channels are on DTT (Freeview)

Expert
skappy70

They are on DTT replacing Sky Sports 1 &2, to allow non Infinity customers the chance of watching BT Sports 1 & 2 but only via a BT Vision box as you'll need a viewing card.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

As already stated you won't be able to decrypt the BTS Freeview channels without a BTTV subscription, in which case you would receive them via Infinity. But you will be able to stream from the internet and watch on a telly with a suitable connection to the computer.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

[edited: I now see what you were getting at pottyperson. The OP has Infinity.]

As things stand the only way of viewing Freeview channels 58 and 59 is to subscribe to a BT phone/broadband/TV package and get a black BT Vision+ box (not a BT Youview box) and BT viewing card. BT may restrict this to those unable to get Infinity.

Expert
jam2000

pottyperson wrote:

As already stated you won't be able to decrypt the BTS Freeview channels without a BTTV subscription, in which case you would receive them via Infinity. But you will be able to stream from the internet and watch on a telly with a suitable connection to the computer.

If that is the case then why are they broadcasting them over DTT (Freeview)?

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

jam2000 wrote:

pottyperson wrote:

If that is the case then why are they broadcasting them over DTT (Freeview)?

Which bit do you mean? Both are true.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Beginner
wake_up_bomb

pottyperson wrote:

Which bit do you mean? Both are true.

What (s)he means is that if you have a BT Vision box then the BT Sport channels will appear alongside Eurosport, ESPN and all of the lifestyle channels, on, I presume, either an HDMI or Scart-related feed, depending on how you hook the box up.

I don't have a BT Vision box. The BT Sport channels appear on the Freeview list via the digital tuner that is built into my television.

That is why I'm wondering if it will be possible for me to view these channels for free, as I understand that I will have free access to them online as an existing Infinity customer.

Expert
StewM

[ Edited ]
No. The only way to view these channels is through a Vision Box with a subscription card.

A subscription card will only be issued to non Infinity customers.