Expert
StewM

Re: BT Sports Channel 1 & 2

I can't help feeling with what Sky & BT have to offer to each other to trade, it would not be more constructive (and cheaper not employing so many lawyers), to sit around a table and strike a deal rather than keep going to court to resolve matters http://news.yahoo.com/bt-says-minded-appeal-bskybs-sport-ruling-180149592--finance.html

or is this just a bargaining tool?

Contributor
some_old_codger

Would I be correct in thinking that any existing Sky Sports 1+2+ESPN customers wil continue to receive their service at the existing price of £12.30 p/m until BT can offer an alternative? I ask because I haven't heard anything from them about withdrawing it or increasing the price but, atm, I'm not in an infinity-enabled area. If they want more money for it, (I think I've seen £18.20 mentionde from beginning of next year somewhere), then it would be cheaper to go to for Sky AND I'd then get all the champions league matches and EPL matchday choice on the red button, not just the 1 or 2 matches I get now. ATM it's cheaper.... not much mind, but cheaper... and I don't have to deal with Murdoch :smileyhappy:

Expert
zulu17

some_old_codger wrote:

Would I be correct in thinking that any existing Sky Sports 1+2+ESPN customers wil continue to receive their service at the existing price of £12.30 p/m until BT can offer an alternative? I ask because I haven't heard anything from them about withdrawing it or increasing the price but, atm, I'm not in an infinity-enabled area. If they want more money for it, (I think I've seen £18.20 mentionde from beginning of next year somewhere), then it would be cheaper to go to for Sky AND I'd then get all the champions league matches and EPL matchday choice on the red button, not just the 1 or 2 matches I get now. ATM it's cheaper.... not much mind, but cheaper... and I don't have to deal with Murdoch :smileyhappy:

Have you not received an email or a letter notifying you of price changes in January ?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35832/~/price-changes-from-5-january-2013

Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 together increases from £18.20 to £20.00 for customers on a 12 or 18 month Vision contract, and from £12.30 to £15 for customers on a 24 month Broadband, TV and Calls contract

Contributor
some_old_codger

I don't remember receiving that, no. I THINK my contract runs out in December but my memory might be playing tricks on me again :smileywink: I suppose a rise of £2.70 a month, (from £12.30 to £15), isn't too steep but if they wanted £20 a month I'd go to Sky as it's about the same price and, as I say, the service is better.

Of course, if they offered the BT infinity it might change things but atm that's not an option.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

some_old_codger wrote:
I don't remember receiving that, no. I THINK my contract runs out in December

This is getting off topic, but you should keep an eye on that. If your minimum period contract expires and you do nothing your services should continue but are likely to be charged at standard prices without prior warning. Depending on the details of your current contract, that could involve significant price increases.

Shortly before your minimum period is up, call Sales on 150 and ask where you stand and what they will offer in return for committing to another minimum period. It will help if you first research prices elsewhere and make it clear that you're prepared to switch if BT's offer doesn't match.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

some_old_codger wrote:
I don't remember receiving that, no. I THINK my contract runs out in December but my memory might be playing tricks on me again :smileywink: I suppose a rise of £2.70 a month, (from £12.30 to £15), isn't too steep but if they wanted £20 a month I'd go to Sky as it's about the same price and, as I say, the service is better.

Of course, if they offered the BT infinity it might change things but atm that's not an option.

Hi some_old_codger,

I assume from the fact that you are currently paying £12.30 for the sports channels that you are on the Total Sports Max calls, broadband and TV bundle like me. If so then there are a few things that I found out that may be of use to you.

(1)  The contract does not come to an end after 24 months. There is a 24 month minimum period but the bundle deal has no end date. So you shouldn't need to worry about being automatically moved to a higher priced deal after 24 months. I can verify this as I'm now in month 27 and I'm still paying the same amount each month for the same service with the same sports TV. This also means you shouldn't receive any communication from BT just because you reach the 24 month point. The only significance of that is that you are no longer tied in after that point. 

(2)  I was told that if I changed my current bundle in any way then I would lose the Total Sports Max deal. So if I wanted to change my calling plan, move from ADSL to Infinity or start a new contract for any other reason I would have to pay the much higher current rates for the sports TV. So for the time being I'm just sticking with exactly what I have got in order to keep the cheap £12.30 sports TV. Be careful about offering to sign any new contract as you may lose that if you do.

(3)  As previously mentioned the sports TV part of the bundle is going up from £12.30 to £15 in January. It's up to you whether you think that is still good value for money. To check how your other costs will change just enter your details on this page .

Of course it is worth you phoning BT yourself to verify things, but my advice is don't sign up for any new contract unless you are 100% sure what you are both losing and gaining by doing so.

P.S. You should have got an e-mail about the Jan price changes. I received one a few weeks ago. 

Aspiring Expert
andy_247

I totally agree Umpire, I think the previous advice to jump straight into another contract as soon as your existing one runs out is not the best advice.
Once you're tied into a contract, then essentially your biggest bargaining tool has gone. I've been out of contract for a little while and will I only sign a new one when I feel that BT have a bit more to offer me. I think the right time for me may be when they finally bring on board the new channels :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

[ Edited ]

That's absolutley right, umpire. I should have included a bit more advice based on my own experience. I have Total Sports Max and my contract ends in February, having been put forward from August following a BT cack-up. Not realising this I phoned in August to see what was what; the sales adviser told me that my current contract could not be bettered if I wanted to keep Sky Sports and advised me to let the package run when the minimum period is up. I will check the position again in February of course.

I would hope that soc will get similar advice if it applies, but your warning to be wary is helpful.

[EDIT: Point already taken, andy, though I didn't suggest jumping straight into another contract but to ask where he stood.] 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
StewM

Again same here. My 24 month contract would normally finish December 2012, they admit that they mad a mistake when I upgraded the speed on my Infinity in April this year so they now say my contract will go to April 2014 but I am free to leave at any time after my initial contract period, December 2012.

Interestingly they also say my prices will not go up in Jan 2013. We'll see on that one.

Expert
umpire

I think the key is that people need to know whether they are on a fixed period deal or an open ended deal.

If the deal only lasts for a fixed period then as you suggested it is probably in your interest to then sign up for another fixed period (rather than move to more expensive standard prices). If however the deal has no set end date then you might save money by just letting it carry on.

I wasn't sure myself what the situation was with the Total Sports Max deal and it took a few conversations in August with different BT staff to get to the facts. I was initially told I would be moved to standard prices and was pressured to sign a new contract. Luckily I didn't believe them and so didn't rush into anything. It turned out that they were wrong.