Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Re: BT Vision Box not recording full programme

My problem has now gone from not recording to recording full programme, but now I can't play it back!! The programmes keep freezing in random places then nothing on the vision box works and it has to be reset.  Which basically means I can't watch anything that has recorded properly in the first place!!

Very frustrating..No doubt I'll have to buy new equipment which I'm not overally impressed about.  My box is probably 5years old now, but even so, you would expect it to break like that!

Any updates from BT would be gratefully received.

Guru

ruthybabe wrote:

My problem has now gone from not recording to recording full programme, but now I can't play it back!! The programmes keep freezing in random places then nothing on the vision box works and it has to be reset.  Which basically means I can't watch anything that has recorded properly in the first place!!

Very frustrating..No doubt I'll have to buy new equipment which I'm not overally impressed about.  My box is probably 5years old now, but even so, you would expect it to break like that!

Any updates from BT would be gratefully received.

Don't be too quick to reach for the plug. For the last year or so I have found that some recordings freeze for about 5-10 seconds then jump forward a little and keep playing. Nine times out of 10 if you press 7seconds back after it starts again you find that it plays through the bit it's missed. Sometimes it does it on the 2nd attempt sometimes not at all.

Since you expect the box to break, what are you complaining about? Smiley Very Happy (think you missed a "not"). That said equipment fails, and discs do not last forever.

Expert

[ Edited ]

guilbo wrote:

Since you expect the box to break, what are you complaining about? (think you missed a "not"). That said equipment fails, and discs do not last forever.

Ooh, good point. The Vision box is like a PC/laptop/any digital TV recorder - in time, the hard drive disc wears out.

They are all perishable products...

Which eventually need replacing.

And at least BT do it for free, no matter how long you've had your box.

That fact alone is top banana good service.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.

Hi All,

Further to the reports of truncated recordings from some customers recently, we have investigated the problem and made some changes. Whilst it is still possible for late schedule changes to cause this, if you have been experiencing this problem recently please could you reboot your Vision box by following the steps below:

To reboot your Vision box

NOTE: This will not delete your recordings

1. Make sure the TV is switched on and showing the Vision box output
  2. Hold down the front panel on/off button until the box reboots itself. It typically takes about a 5 sec press.

1. If you’ve got a silver box the on/off button is the translucent button on the far left with the green/amber LED
  2. If you’ve got a black box the on/off button is the central button with the blue/purple LED.

1. The Vision box will then be ready to use again within about 2 minutes. Depending on how many recordings you have on the box it will take a while longer for your recordings menu to become available.

Note that any existing truncated recordings will remain short, but if (having performed the reboot above) you experience this problem on a new recording please let us know, supplying the following details:

• Channel name
  • Programme name
  • Programme start time
  • Programme duration reported on screen
  • Actual duration
  • Vision box session time (press BTVision button > scroll across to settings > general settings > system information, the session time is on the 1st line)

Many thanks for your assistance with this problem, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Paddy,

PaddyB | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You

Thanks for this.  We have had this problem for a while.  Just reset our box so let's keep our fingers crossed that it works

PaddyB wrote:

Hi All,

Further to the reports of truncated recordings from some customers recently, we have investigated the problem and made some changes. Whilst it is still possible for late schedule changes to cause this, if you have been experiencing this problem recently please could you reboot your Vision box by following the steps below:

To reboot your Vision box

NOTE: This will not delete your recordings

1. Make sure the TV is switched on and showing the Vision box output
  2. Hold down the front panel on/off button until the box reboots itself. It typically takes about a 5 sec press.

1. If you’ve got a silver box the on/off button is the translucent button on the far left with the green/amber LED
  2. If you’ve got a black box the on/off button is the central button with the blue/purple LED.

1. The Vision box will then be ready to use again within about 2 minutes. Depending on how many recordings you have on the box it will take a while longer for your recordings menu to become available.

Note that any existing truncated recordings will remain short, but if (having performed the reboot above) you experience this problem on a new recording please let us know, supplying the following details:

• Channel name
  • Programme name
  • Programme start time
  • Programme duration reported on screen
  • Actual duration
  • Vision box session time (press BTVision button > scroll across to settings > general settings > system information, the session time is on the 1st line)

Many thanks for your assistance with this problem, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Paddy,

p fingers crossed that it works.

DSK
Beginner

Hi, I have one of the early silver boxes and been having similar problems for about a week. Recordings show the full duration but freeze after a few minutes and the box won't respond to the remote. I usually have to reset the box by either powering down or holding in the button on the front of the box. however the box has on occassion tried to reset itself and gone into a loop. Recordings more than a week old are fine. Turning off/on the hub doesn't help and the only other option seems to be a factory reset, which I don't want to try yet as there are several unwatched programs to get through. However I have also experienced the same problem if I pause live TV which I haven't seen mentioned on any of the forums. Could this be a hard disc problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Recognised Expert

DSK wrote:

Hi, I have one of the early silver boxes and been having similar problems for about a week. Recordings show the full duration but freeze after a few minutes and the box won't respond to the remote. I usually have to reset the box by either powering down or holding in the button on the front of the box. however the box has on occassion tried to reset itself and gone into a loop. Recordings more than a week old are fine. Turning off/on the hub doesn't help and the only other option seems to be a factory reset, which I don't want to try yet as there are several unwatched programs to get through. However I have also experienced the same problem if I pause live TV which I haven't seen mentioned on any of the forums. Could this be a hard disc problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

That does sound grim. It might be worth powering down the hub and vbox for 15 minutes, then starting the hub and once all lights are blue power up the vbox to see if that helps matters.

Aspiring Contributor

That sounds exactly the same as my problem, although I haven't tried pausing live TV so I don't know if that has the same effect (most of my programmes are on series record, and then I watch from there before deleting).  But it does keep freezing and sometimes re-sets itself and sometimes I have to reset it.

I have tried doing what the advice suggested, so fingers crossed we have no further problems.  I too don't really want to do a factory reset just yet as I have quite a few recordings I don't want to risk losing.

DSK
Beginner

Turned off hub & box overnight but appears not to have helped. Took a few attempts for the box to complete its start up and resulted in a nr01 message. This also has made no difference. Looks like the next thing to try will be a factory reset after watching existing recordings ( I have cancelled all future recordings).
Beginner

So if the on/off button is no longer functional manually on newer boxes which apparently is the case as i have been told by helpline operatives and the visiting technician (although none of them knew this to start with) how do you reboot without turning off at the mains? Also if the functions of the box have been altered why has there been no information provided with the outdated manual for users and home visiting technicians not notified of this? Shall we have a good drink in a brewery somewhere if it can be organised!