Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

BT Vision iPlayer dropping/box resetting

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered. I see a long, long thread about Vision problems since an software update. I don't know if this is related or not.

We use the BT Vision box about once a week for on demand (pay) movies and BBC iPlayer. It usually works fine, with occasional freezes but then we get that on the laptops as well so it's not too bad.

Then, yesterday (26th June) we ordered a film. It got about 15 minutes in and then stuttered, froze, and then the whole menu system became quite unresponsive. I reset the whole box, and then the film played to conclusion with no more problem.

We then tried to watch a couple of 1/2 hr BBC comedy programmes. Each one stalled approximately 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through (i.e. about 10 and 20 minutes). Once it stalled, the box reset itself and we had to wait ~30 seconds to get back to the menu. Then of course it's a real pain to find the programme again, fast forward to the right bit, and watch again.

Again, tonight, tried to watch QI and it cut out again. (We also watched the same film for the second time, and that worked fine).

We have pretty stable and fast broadband. We get no error codes (that's not to say there aren't errors, but they're not pulbicly visible ones). It is getting to be quite a pain. I can't tell if we've had any software updates. Due to TV aerial issues we actually don't watch live/DVR TV at present, but the Vision box is connected to the broadband directly (ie not through Powerline adapters).

Anyone have any things I can try? I really hope it's not something like the hard drive failing. I have an incling it's connection related.

Aspiring Contributor

Re: BT Vision iPlayer dropping/box resetting

Yeah. Mine is doing the same thing. Assuming that BT are going to be **bleep** all help, lets compare notes.

Are you switching the box off between use/switching off the power-line adaptor?

I suspect the issue might be related to connection stability somehow.  Other devices in our house (PC, Kindle Fire, Ipad, phones) can access iplayer perfectly (all on wireless though)

Aspiring Contributor

Sorry, lost sight of this message.

Has been better the last couple of weeks. Watched a couple of 'pay' films, all downloaded perfectly. The iPlayer seemed to skip a few seconds in a couple of programmes (all comedy, so we missed a few punchlines) but it hasn't crashed or reset the box.

We never switch the box off at the mains, it's always either on (green light on power button) or standby (yellow light on power button). It's connected directly to the HH2 via the supplied Ethernet cable.

I don't tend to stream iPlayer much on my laptop, unless the programme can't be downloaded, but usually this works fine as does streaming of the BBC channels live. That's always wireless.

I see a number of other threads popping up with subjects suggesting this, or similar, is fairly widespread.

Aspiring Contributor

I'm wondering if the software in the BT Vision box (which I believe is a variant of iPlayer) doesn't buffer / cache much ahead when it is streaming. When I view streaming content on a laptop it tends to load a good chunk of content ahead of time, so it doesn't reach a point where it's run out of data. As this isn't live I don't know why the BT Vision box wouldn't do this (we have plenty of hard drive space available).

Beginner

I think that this has been posted several times before but it is still an issue for me - any clues how to resolve would be most welcome.  I have the old style silver box.  Over the last few months it has become impossible to watch iplayer as the box restarts about every 10 minutes.  Thus to watch any 30 minute program needs you to wait at least twice whilst the box resets - and then you have to find the program again and the find the right point at which you want to start watching!