Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Vision on a Second TV

[ Edited ]

A diagram may help

btv2.jpg

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

drgeoff

[ Edited ]

For completeness the diagram could show that the aerial input also goes to the two tuners in the Vision box.  But that might reduce the clarity wrt the present discussion :smileytongue:.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

drgeoff wrote:

For completeness the diagram could show that the aerial input also goes to the two tuners in the Vision box.  But that might reduce the clarity wrt the present discussion :smileytongue:.

Edited, happy now ? :smileywink:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
EliBev321

(Keith_Beddoe)

Sorry to labour the point but we have just had the digital switchover in my area and I am hoping to get rid of Sky and move to Vision but want to be sure that I can continue to watch sports, recordings, etc on other TVs in the house which I do at the moment using the RF output on the Sky box, splitters, Magi eyes, etc.

So it seems I need to buy an RF modulator (SLx 27851R RF Modulator Retail Box) and something to replace the magic eyes  (Powermid XL) . Have I got it right?!

Thanks

Bev
Beginner
EliBev321

(Keith_Beddoe)

Sorry to labour the point but we have just had the digital switchover in my area and I am hoping to get rid of Sky and move to Vision but want to be sure that I can continue to watch sports, recordings, etc on other TVs in the house which I do at the moment using the RF output on the Sky box, splitters, Magi eyes, etc.

So it seems I need to buy an RF modulator (SLx 27851R RF Modulator Retail Box) and something to replace the magic eyes  (Powermid XL) . Have I got it right?!

Thanks

Bev
Expert
minusdot

Is it Sky Sports you're after? Then that may be the deal breaker for new customers. Are you in a "BT Infinity broadband enabled area"? If not, then you can't get Sky Sports through BT Vision.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/sports-on-bt-vision

Beginner
EliBev321

Hi,

Yes we will have infinity later this month so that's not a problem - it's this RF output that I'm worried about.

Bev
Expert
minusdot

EliBev321 wrote:

Hi,

Yes we will have infinity later this month so that's not a problem - it's this RF output that I'm worried about.

Lucky you! I was just worried you were rushing out to buy kit that you wouldn't need.

I haven't tried using the kit you mentioned (I can still use the RF out as I'm on the old old system) but it sounds about right. I know folk on here have had issues with the IR extenders, and no-one else has mentioned the one that you did, so you may want to use the search to see the posts others have made regarding IR extenders.

Aspiring Contributor
henburyman

My BT Vision box is under the lounge TV and is connected to it with HDMI.

I watch BT Vision (including recorded, On Demand and Catchup) no problem on the bedroom TV, using the following equipment:

1) A Universal Scart To Coax Video Modulator by Mercury (£16.75 inc postage from Amazon) to give a RF modulated output.

2) SLx6 Way Signal Distribution Amplifier with Digital Bypass by Goodmans (£17.52 inc postage from Amazon) to split/amplify the RF output. - you probably already have one of these or similar.

I also bought a PowerMid XL Remote Control Extender (£25.90 inc. postage from Amazon) and a 2nd remote control from BT (about £10 as far as I can remember) so I can operate the BT Vision box from the bedroom without having to remember to take the Remote Control from the lounge to bed with me.

Hope that this is helpful.

Expert
minusdot

Great post henburyman - very helpful to all! And that's a nice little setup you have there.

I rarely use my RF out because I don't have an IR extender - shame really as I already have a spare remote (BT gave me a black one because the silver one doesn't control my TV). But I often use my slingbox and watch (and control) my vbox from my laptop, the quality's not brilliant but it wins on convenience. I wish that I could connect my laptop,xbox or PS3 to the vbox directly but maybe BTV2 will offer that one day as they totally failed to take advantage of the mediaroom solution.